Birth Certificates

Mike S
Posted
Posted

When you have to present your birth certificate for various governmental procedures do they make a copy ..... just acknowledge the document or keep it ........ the reason I ask is that I only have one certified copy of my birth certificate as the original was lost years ago ...... this was good enough for my passport and SS so I can assume it will be good enough for the Phil government ......... I hope they don't want it to keep as this one cost me $38 several years ago ...... can I get copies of this one and have them certified here ........

TheMason
Posted
Posted
When you have to present your birth certificate for various governmental procedures do they make a copy ..... just acknowledge the document or keep it ........ the reason I ask is that I only have one certified copy of my birth certificate as the original was lost years ago ...... this was good enough for my passport and SS so I can assume it will be good enough for the Phil government ......... I hope they don't want it to keep as this one cost me $38 several years ago ...... can I get copies of this one and have them certified here ........
The only time I needed a certified birth certificate was when I got married. They kept the certificate and I won't get it back. I've never been asked for a copy of it when dealing with BI or any other Phils govt. agency, my passport was always sufficient. I think it's more likely that you will need a certified birth certificate if you need to replace lost or stolen US issued documents. I'm pretty sure you need one to replace a lost passport.I don't think you can make copies and have them certified here. When I've needed a certified copy in the past, it was always required to have a raised seal from the issuing authority on it.I ordered 5 certified copies of my birth certificate this summer before I moved here. I was able to order online and had to email/fax them some followup paperwork to prove my identity, but I forget the details. As I recall, it cost me about $70 and I had the certificates within 2 weeks. This was for a New Jersey certificate mailed to me in the US. I used this website http://www.vitalchek.com, but I don't know which states they cover and if they'll deliver internationally or not.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I would advise you to get at least a couple of extra copies. You never know when you will need them and you always need them right away when you do. If you go online to the state where you were born you should be able to get the information on obtaining copies. Because counterfiting documents is a cottage industry in the Philippines everywhere I have been that required copies always kept the original.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Wow ........ they have changed a bit from when you got yours TheMason ....... or at least from Mass. they want $35 for each certified copy and get this .... if I go to the state service they charge $45 for each copy with a $5 deduction for each additional copy ......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I ordered mine through vital check also a few years ago, so that I would have extras. I do not remember how much it cost but I am sure you could check it online. http://www.vitalchek.com Heck if you need it, you need it, no matter what it cost I guess.

Travis
Posted
Posted

Thank you all, good information!

• Like 1