Are Most Filipinos Afraid Of Snakes?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Today was like most other days except my wife was doing the wash in the garage as she usually does on the weekends and she excitedly called me to come into the garage. Seems she saw what looked like a tail wiggling out from under the garbage can and told me what she saw, but said she was not sure what it was. Well I carefully lifted the garbage can and sure enough it was a small Florida Ringneck Snake, and that was when the fun began and my wife started screaming and running away when it tried to get away. I grabbed the little sucker and held it up for my wife to look at and touch but she said no way, but did wish to look at it closely. The strange thing about that is that I had let my wife touch much larger snakes in the past that I had caught but I guess she never got over her fear of them and would not touch this one no matter how much I asked her to. This happened once before in our other house while she was trimming the bushes and came across a much bigger snake which was not happy that she was trimming his hiding spot and struck out at her and I caught him too and took him across the street to the lake and set him free since it was not a poisonous one. Oh well so I put this little one I caught today into a container and I will release him later today in a wooded area, since snakes eat insects and other little creatures and besides that they were put on this earth and the ones that are not poisonous deserve to live and even the poisonous ones deserve to live IMO, just not in populated areas.  So I am sure some of you have had to have come in contact with snakes of one sort or another and since I know which ones not to touch in the area we live in, so I also know which are not dangerous to pick up and require a little more caution when doing so. Any of you have contact with snakes and if so do you find your Filipino partner or yourself afraid of them? 

post-40-034780400 1283098717_thumb.jpg

post-40-024397300 1283098730_thumb.jpg

post-40-061818700 1283098741_thumb.jpg

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
... Any of you have contact with snakes and if so do you find your Filipino partner or yourself afraid of them?...
hey Lee... I don't know if this "snake fear" is usual... or just a coincidence... but...my asawa is also terrified of snakes.It wouldn't surprise me, but she is not afraid of anything else... she catches spiders bare handed and throws them out the door... she walks right up to a wasp nest and zaps it with spray, just ignores the ones that escape and buzz around her. I'm just the opposite... snakes are no problem... but I have no use for insects.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Lee, I don't think it has anything to do with Filipinos; many people have an unnatural fear of snakes and, unfortunately, kill them for no other reason then that's what they are. As you know, In Fl there are many venomous cottonmouths, I see them frequently but I respect them and leave them alone and (so far) they do likewise. If you don't pick them up you're about 95% safe, so they say. As you said, snakes serve a useful purpose controlling the vermin and insect populations. The Burmese Pythons and other large non-native pythons that were pets and have been released into the wilds here and are breeding is another thing entirely. That is a very serious problem.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I was pretty concerned when we visited my wife's village in Leyte earlier this year. She had told me we would visit and pay someone to clean up her auntie's grave, as well as her mother's house, both of which she said would probably have snakes in abundance since they'd been ignored so long. What kind of snakes? COBRAS!!! Suddenly, I wasn't sure this was such a good idea. In the end there wasn't much. I think a snake or two were found by the graves, but not sure if they were cobra or not. The house was clear of snakes, I think, but not puppies. Anyways, all this talk of snakes from my wife had me second guessing moving to her home village, especially since we would live part time on our farm. I don't want my kids playing in the grass and chasing a ball into the bushes only to run into a cobra. Better invest in snake bite antidotes. Yes, I'm easily scared and paranoid. lol...

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)
paradise-lost.jpgIf Eve had been afraid of the snake in Eden we would still be living in paradise.. Edited by Mik

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
paradise-lost.jpgIf Eve had been afraid of the snake in Eden we would still be living in paradise..
If Adam were better hung, she wouldn't have cared about the other snake SugarwareZ-011.gif