The Forgotten War

stef
Posted
Posted

a new feature film brings back the forgotten Philippine - American war will have its world premiere next month at the Toronto international film festival in Canada and the San sebastian international film festival in Spain . it will be commercially released in the Philippines in the middle of next year .

UZI
Posted
Posted
a new feature film brings back the forgotten Philippine - American war will have its world premiere next month at the Toronto international film festival in Canada and the San sebastian international film festival in Spain . it will be commercially released in the Philippines in the middle of next year .
Stef,As with British colonies, there were things we were not proud of. This is one that Americans should know about too:
By late July, 12,000 American troops had arrived from San Francisco. The Spanish governor, Fermin Jaudenes, negotiated the surrender of Manila with an arranged show of resistance that preserved Spanish sensibilities of honour and excluded Aguinaldo's Filipinos. The Americans took possession of Manila on August 13, 1898.As it became apparent that the United States did not intend to recognize Philippine independence, Aguinaldo moved his capital in September from Cavite to the more defensible Malalos in Bulacan. That same month, the United States and Spain began their peace negotiations in Paris.Aguinaldo did not need recommendations to decide what he would do. On January 23, 1899 he proclaimed the Malalos Constitution and the First Philippine Republic.The hostilities in the Philippine War of Independence began on February 4, 1899 and continued for two years. The United States needed 126,000 soldiers to subdue the Philippines. The war took the lives of 4,234 Americans and 16,000 Filipinos. As usually happens in guerrilla campaigns, the civilian population suffers the worst. As many as 200,000 civilians may have died from famine and disease.Extracts from Planet Papers
Uzi

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Probably not a good thing for US sentiment. I have Filipino friends who told me about the slaughters that Americans did to Filipinos back during one of the wars and it made me ashamed to be an American, for them to use such superior firepower to wipe out whole villages just because some Filipinos killed some soldiers. Two wrongs never make a right. I am not a great history buff so I only remember the links he sent me and read what was said on them but since the were written by Filipinos, then they may have had a Filipino slant on them, yet I can believe in the cruelty of wars and know of a lot that went on in Vietnam, so it does not surprise me if the Filipino version might also be totally true. War is hell and I do not believe in wars, but who am I.  I just wish wars could be settled by the strongest warrior in each country instead of wasting so many lives on both sides of any war. I often wonder if wars were not meant to cut populations, hmmmmm.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

A little before my time, so I plead innocence ....although I heard Lee was involved in it in some way, or that is what I read. :SugarwareZ-037:

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
War is hell and I do not believe in wars, but who am I. I just wish wars could be settled by the strongest warrior in each country instead of wasting so many lives on both sides of any war. I often wonder if wars were not meant to cut populations, hmmmmm.
Or settled by the leader - ahem, president - of both sides in a dual or fight. They want war.... they should lead the way in. I read about the Philippine-American War on Wikipedia recently, following some of the random links around. A few things I found interesting were American soldiers calling Filipinos the N-word in their personal letters home. My wife is very sensitive about the color of her skin and throws that word around a bit describing herself not realizing how scared I am of our girls repeating it around black people (or at all)! Imagine my surprise when I found that there was some background to it, while before I just thought she heard it in movies and rap music. Second, one story of Filipinos getting back at Americans in Leyte was to bury a soldier up to his chin, prop open his mouth with a stick, then lead a trail of sugar through the forest right into his mouth. Thousands of ants, apparently, killed him. My wife didn't believe that one, however, since she says they wouldn't have had sugar at that time, being so poor. Who do I trust: my wife or Wikipedia?

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I will avoid this topic, as it can become political quite easily. What I will say is....war is needed at times. Any further debate will create a political discussion, something not allowed on this forum.We certainly do not want to get back into the US civil war reasons, Iraq and rest of the BS that a broad spectrum of discussion such as war can create.So...off to another topic. 5387.gif

UZI
Posted
Posted
So...off to another topic. 5387.gif
This is not a topic about war as such but more about the history of this country we call home and our homelands part in the making of that history, good or bad. For example few know that for a time the British ruled the Phiippines and we were responsible for some key but not so well known milestone facts about the UK in the Philippines: * It established the sugar industry in the country * It introduced the railway system * It built the first waterworks * It installed the first telecommunications lines * It pioneered some of the first ferryboats * It established the earliest trading companies * It is one of the first in banking, insurance, pawnshops, betting, etc.Philembassy UKUzi

• 2 weeks later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are you sure you aren't thinking about India? The British ruled the Philippines from 1762 to 1764. Well before the invention of railroads or telecommunications. Or perhaps they were developed by British businessmen during Spanish rule. I did a term paper on this subject for my college history class. There was certainly brutality on both sides but that was par for the course for wars of this time period. Look at what went on in the Boer war . The US was fresh out of the indian wars and used many of the same tactics on Philippine irregular forces. Despite what the world feels about such tactics today they were effective.

Edited by tom_shor