Weird Requests For Money You Have Had

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder if members might list some of the types of requests they have had from their extended families for money. The weirdest one we had was one niece who asked us for money to pay off her sister who she had taken a loan from and who was charging her 20% a month interest on her loan. I sort of scratched my head and thought to myself that if her sister can charge her own sister 20% a month for a loan and they are flesh and blood sisters, then why should an aunt or myself bail her out, so of course she did not get the money. Another request  was from a nephew whose baby had died in the hospital and the hospital was demanding p10,000 or they would not release the dead babies body, that we paid but I thought to myself how heartless those who ran that hospital were and that was a gift because we knew the nephew who is a poor farmer would never be able to repay it anyway. Another was when a nieces son was hit by a car and before I knew that the car owner was responsible to pay all medical bills, so the niece asked for a LOAN of p5000 and then when she got paid back for all the hospital and doctor bills she never bothered to pay us back and got mad at us when we asked for the money and told us she did not have it to give to us. Easy come easy go is how life seems to be in the Philippines and the quickest way I have found to make money magically disappear, is to hand it to one of our poor relatives and like magic it is gone within minutes and no one seems to know where the heck it went.   :36_1_68[1]:The funny part of the above situation was that years later while we were visiting one of my wifes sisters that same niece came to visit along with some other nieces and nephews and we gave them all clothing and bus and jeepney fare to get back home but did not give that niece even one centavo or one piece of clothing and she was furiously texting away to my wifes sister telling her what bad people we were and how she was going to have to walk home now and called us evil etc and I just laughed because when she arrived I actually thought she was there to repay us since we did not ask her to come and she just tagged along, but she was actually there with her hand out and expecting more money and gifts from us. I asked her for money and again she felt that I had a lot of nerve to ask her when we should be the one giving her money. Seems most family members do not know the meaning of a loan when given by one of us, yet when borrowed from other family or friends or a bank, they usually pay it off. So as others have said, it is better to give and not expect anything back because most will never even try to repay us and we will end up the bad person because we are all VERY rich in their eyes and IMO nothing any of us do or say will change that vision of us. Over the first years of our marriage there had been many requests and most had been from nieces and nephews and most involved medical bills so I believe this should be something most of us should expect when marrying into a Filipino family, and those of you that it has never happened to are blessed or lucky, yet I often wonder if money is needed at times and some families are too proud or too afraid to ask for it and just suffer because of that instead of asking. smileyvault-unsure.gif

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Well...money requests...LOL!!!! Ok i will place a few of mineNeighbors come by to add me in the pool of searching for Yamash&ta's treasure and i would only add 1000$ (dollars not pesos)...i added up a lot of laughter, they never bothered me againRelatives, i cut their wide open hand very rude, kicked them out of my house and forbid entrance to anyone who intend to ask for money (unless real emergency where i will witness my self) or for any long term lodging. I am the bad one 7 years now and plan to keep it as such.Another neighbor who claims to be the civil engineer who build the Shangri-la mactan...(claims to be)...he offered me an incredible offer to invest 100 million pesos to a residential subdivision project...i replied "oh please give me some of the what you're smoking, seems very halucinating" A friend comes rushing to my house telling me to grab this great offer of two townhouses near UP for only 8 million both...i replied i can't today because i never withdraw money when i have my period....you should had seen the nod on his face, PRICELESS!!!!A relative from Mindanao calls us for an incredible offer of a nice lot of 1000m2 overlooking etc. We wanted to go to this place anyway, we had the money to spare so we just went there. I bought the lot 5 years ago and the next year i was offered the double to sell it. I did not. That was a good deal but as usual there is nothing given to a kano out of good will. The catch is that the relative who told us about it she thought that i will build a summer mansion (she called it as such) and she will be living there so for someone to take care of it while we are in Manila....the only thing that is there are the huge mango trees which were existing and that is all she gets for keeping an eye on the lot.

Travis
Posted
Posted

I never did find out what the money asked for was for but they would not take no for an answer coz they kept texting & texting & texting until I picked up her phone & wrote NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO & singed my name to it but she assured me it was not for any emergencies & she was ashamed of her families insistence

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

From an ex-gf: "My mother's boyfriend killed her and we have to bury her properly" Then.."I was robbed coming home from Western Union". Live and learn. "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" - Benjamin Franklin.