Car Rental

portnoy58
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are coming to RP early October and I wonder how feasible it is to rent a car and self-drive. I have a little understanding of driving conditions and how the roads are in RP form previous visits. Basically we want to do a round trip from NAIA to Balanga City in Bataan and make several stops. Other than getting in and out of NAiA I have no wish to drive in Manila. What would I need for a license? I have a full UK license and a full Thai license. Any thoughts and any recommendations about who to rent from. Your help would be gratefully received. P

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I have never rented a car here but my good friend Lars, "Panserhansen", tells me he pays about 1700p a day for a decent Toyota.As for your license, you are allowed to drive here for 90 days on a foreign license.Paul

portnoy58
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your reply. where does he rent from? You can PM me to avoid advertising!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My wife and I are coming to RP early October and I wonder how feasible it is to rent a car and self-drive. I have a little understanding of driving conditions and how the roads are in RP form previous visits. Basically we want to do a round trip from NAIA to  Balanga City in Bataan and make several stops. Other than getting in and out of NAiA I have no wish to drive in Manila. What would I need for a license? I have a full UK license and a full Thai license. Any thoughts and any recommendations about who to rent from. Your help would be gratefully received. P
My advice would be to also rent a driver as it would not cost that much more and they would know there way around and the driving routines so therefore less likely to get into an accident. As for where to rent, they have an AVIS car rental place right in Manila airport and quite a few others all around Manila but driving is quite difficult in many places within the Philippines and even experienced drivers often find it hard to get use to the chaos. I always rent a driver whenever we travel around because of some of the crazy rules if we should get into an accident. Either way be sure to get the best insurance possible. Enjoy your trip.  

portnoy58
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your solid advice Mr Lee. As I make enquiries I am not sure I'd need to drive. I want to get to Balanga City in Bataan, Subic and then Candaba Marsh, part of Mt Arayat NP. Basically there is a boat service from MLA to Orion near Balanga and then we can take tricycles/taxis as needed and then get a car and a driver to take us to Candaba and then on to NAIA. I am not wild about the prospect of self-drive! I reckon this will work better and be a lot cheaper than 4 days' car rental. Thanks for your assistance.