Census: 1 In 7 Americans Lives In Poverty

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So I wonder what the figures might be in other countries, anyone know? Please lets leave the political part of this issue out of the discussion. WASHINGTON – The ranks of the working-age poor climbed to the highest level since the 1960s as the recession threw millions of people out of work last year, leaving one in seven Americans in poverty.The whole story

UZI
Posted
Posted
So I wonder what the figures might be in other countries, anyone know? Please lets leave the political part of this issue out of the discussion. WASHINGTON – The ranks of the working-age poor climbed to the highest level since the 1960s as the recession threw millions of people out of work last year, leaving one in seven Americans in poverty.The whole story
40 million living in poverty that's more than the Philippines. I think they should move, oh wait a lot already have - HERE :whistling:

stef
Posted
Posted
So I wonder what the figures might be in other countries, anyone know? Please lets leave the political part of this issue out of the discussion. WASHINGTON – The ranks of the working-age poor climbed to the highest level since the 1960s as the recession threw millions of people out of work last year, leaving one in seven Americans in poverty.The whole story
40 million living in poverty that's more than the Philippines. I think they should move, oh wait a lot already have - HERE :whistling:
does that make the USA a 3rd world country

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
To many of us it is beginning to feel that way.   :whistling: Especially when houses, condos, rents and utilities are starting to cost less here than there. 

Jake
Posted
Posted
The US Census Bureau states that: The 2009 poverty level was set at $21,954 for a family of four.....And at 40 million US citizens falling in that category and counting, one needs to seriously consider living somewhere else. Respectfully -- Jake

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind almost all of that 40 million has a roof over their head, a TV, a cell phone, a car and a refrigeratror filled with beer and cigarettes.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Keep in mind almost all of that 40 million has a roof over their head, a TV, a cell phone, a car and a refrigeratror filled with beer and cigarettes.
there were plenty of them living on the streets & sleeping in boxes or under bridges or on park benches when I was there so I would say you are wrong about that & those that are homeless are growing from what people tell me all the time. things are getting pretty bad & will probably only get worse

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
there were plenty of them living on the streets & sleeping in boxes or under bridges or on park benches when I was there so I would say you are wrong about that & those that are homeless are growing from what people tell me all the time. things are getting pretty bad & will probably only get worse
There are homeless for sure. I'd bet not more than 10 to 15% of that 40 million an the highest. Probably a lot less.

softail
Posted
Posted

I’m seeing a lot of people living in old broken-down camp trailers and motor homes in my area. You see them parked in one spot until they get run off, then you see them parked somewhere else and so on. Almost makes me feel a little guilty having a fairly comfortable retirement and them not knowing where they will get that next tank of gas.Doug and Sally