Filipino Time

Jake
Posted
Posted

While dropping off my "kids" at the pool, a thought came to mind about the subject of Filipino time. It is common knowledgethat arriving late even to a business meeting is accepted practice in the Philippines. Why is that?? The Filipinos here in theStates are generally punctual but put them back in PI and it's island time again. Did we get that culture from the Spaniards, you know -- manana, manana?I always come early he, he -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'd like to say that's a Spanish thing, but it appears that culture is not limited to just former Spanish colonies. I think most of the developing countries / 3rd world lives with a more relaxed schedule. Maybe that's why they're late developing?

Edited by ekimswish

Travis
Posted
Posted
While dropping off my "kids" at the pool, a thought came to mind about the subject of Filipino time. It is common knowledgethat arriving late even to a business meeting is accepted practice in the Philippines. Why is that?? The Filipinos here in theStates are generally punctual but put them back in PI and it's island time again. Did we get that culture from the Spaniards, you know -- manana, manana?I always come early he, he -- Jake
Filipino time here is just another item to annoy me but I have sort of gotten accustom to it

• 3 weeks later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted

In my book, "Filipino time" means you're SOL! If they're late to a party, meeting or any occasion, they're just plain SOL with scraps left at the table! When they do it once, I'm sure they've learned their lesson and won't do it a second time around weather they're invited or not! No sweat off my nose!

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

If I want Filipinos to arrive on time, I tell them the event starts an hour before it actually does. Regards: Jim