Sm Group Opens Radisson Hotel In Cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It has been a long time coming but it seems they are now open and it is very conveniently located right next to SM mall Cebu. It sure looks nice but seems expensive with p6825 for a standard room to p19100 for an executive suite (I checked rates during Feb 2011, and p5625 to p17500 were the rates in late October to Nov 2010). I wonder if with the current economy in the Philippines if they will get enough people to pay those prices. Would any of you?SM Hotels and Conventions Corp., a wholly-owned subsidiary of conglomerate SM Investments Corp., will open Monday Radisson Blu Hotel, its first hotel in Cebu City, at the corner of Serging Osmeña Boulevard and Juan Luna Avenue.The 400-room hotel, which cost P3 billion to construct, will be managed by Carlson, a privately held, global hospitality and travel company.“Our vision is to be the leader in the Philippine tourism and real estate sectors and this hotel further strengthens our standing in the industry,” Elizabeth Sy, president of SM Hotels, said.Read the story here Online web page here  

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
It has been a long time coming but it seems they are now open and it is very conveniently located right next to SM mall Cebu. It sure looks nice but seems expensive with p6825 for a standard room to p19100 for an executive suite (I checked rates during Feb 2011, and p5625 to p17500 were the rates in late October to Nov 2010). I wonder if with the current economy in the Philippines if they will get enough people to pay those prices. Would any of you?SM Hotels and Conventions Corp., a wholly-owned subsidiary of conglomerate SM Investments Corp., will open Monday Radisson Blu Hotel, its first hotel in Cebu City, at the corner of Serging Osmeña Boulevard and Juan Luna Avenue.The 400-room hotel, which cost P3 billion to construct, will be managed by Carlson, a privately held, global hospitality and travel company.“Our vision is to be the leader in the Philippine tourism and real estate sectors and this hotel further strengthens our standing in the industry,” Elizabeth Sy, president of SM Hotels, said.Read the story here Online web page here
Ah, well that makes sense that it is owned by the SM group. I did not know that until today.After seeing them pump the water out to level the building, I would not set foot in it, let alone pay those prices.In case you don't know, that part of Cebu City used to be underwater. In fact it was a former coral reef. See this 1944 mappost-5-090610500 1285409654_thumb.jpgI have no fear of SM mall falling over as it has been built so wide. But I do not have the same confidence in a tall thin hotel.Regards: Jim Sibbick

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jim, from what I heard you are correct. The SM people had to "fix" that issue after it sat vacant for five or six years. NO WAY would I set foot in that place. I know earthquakes are rare in Cebu but.....

Ah, well that makes sense that it is owned by the SM group. I did not know that until today.After seeing them pump the water out to level the building, I would not set foot in it, let alone pay those prices.In case you don't know, that part of Cebu City used to be underwater. In fact it was a former coral reef. See this 1944 mappost-5-090610500 1285409654_thumb.jpgI have no fear of SM mall falling over as it has been built so wide. But I do not have the same confidence in a tall thin hotel.Regards: Jim Sibbick

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

The Philippines has an earthquake nearly every day.I was shocked at first to learn this. This site gives the detailshttp://earthquake.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/update_SOEPD/EQLatest.htmlAlready 12 earthquakes for November and 4 of them today.Obviously more than 99% of them don't make the news.I used to live in the Cebu Century Hotel. About once or twice a month there was a quake big enough to shake the hotel that could be felt on the upper floors but could not be felt on the ground.I wonder what it would be like in the upper floors of the Raddison during the same event.Regards; Jim