Dangerous Body Language Abroad

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I learned something new, I did not know that a thumbs up was a bad gesture in the Philippines, what other hand signs should not be used in the Philippines?The Philippines takes this thumbs-up birdie to a higher level, by swiping an upward pointed thumb by the side of the head. It's interesting to imagine what people in these regions think when an American hitchhikes, or when U.S. soldiers happily stick their thumbs up to the locals. Or what about politicians' famous thumbs affirmations during speeches?The complete story here

No name
Posted
Posted
I learned something new, I did not know that a thumbs up was a bad gesture in the Philippines, what other hand signs should not be used in the Philippines?The Philippines takes this thumbs-up birdie to a higher level, by swiping an upward pointed thumb by the side of the head. It's interesting to imagine what people in these regions think when an American hitchhikes, or when U.S. soldiers happily stick their thumbs up to the locals. Or what about politicians' famous thumbs affirmations during speeches?The complete story here
I don't understand that article. Swiping the side of the head? Thumbs up in the area I am is completely acceptable. The four year old picked it up from some place and loves to do it. I just asked Jessie and she said, pfft. LOL Now I wouldn't say the article is unfounded. I've learned one thing about the Philippines, what applies in one place may not apply in other places. Jessie thinks the guy that wrote that made it up though. :th_thsmilies-29057:

BluesDude
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is a new one to me. I've never seen anyone have a problem from giving a "thumbs up". I don't think this is accurate. Thumbs up is pretty universally accepted from what I've seen. Edited by Mr. Lee
mark quotes

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

My wife has never heard of this either. She thinks it's okay. She told me, however, that the "okay" sign with the index and thumb touching, and the other 3 up to the side, can be interpreted wrongly (or rightly) as meaning "money". Making this sign could draw the wrong attention. I might be interpreting her meaning wrongly, as she keeps yelling at my interpretations of it, lol. Something to do with people who see you make this sign think you're going to give money.

No name
Posted
Posted
This is a new one to me. I've never seen anyone have a problem from giving a "thumbs up". I don't think this is accurate. Thumbs up is pretty universally accepted from what I've seen.
I would think some place, some where, its not okay. Perhaps it is another urban legend floating around on the net.

Jake
Posted
Posted
This is a new one to me. I've never seen anyone have a problem from giving a "thumbs up". I don't think this is accurate. Thumbs up is pretty universally accepted from what I've seen.
I would think some place, some where, its not okay. Perhaps it is another urban legend floating around on the net.
I agree with this thumbs up gesture being full of bull chit. Never heard anything negative in the Philippines about this certain body language being taken as an offensive gesture. The author is a blogger for AOL Travel section and from his response (at least the first 40), none came from the Philippines to confirm his conclusion.For those expats living in the Philippines for awhile, you guys already know the following body language are practiced and accepted among the locals:To summon a person, please do not use the upward motion of the fingers. If you do, most of the locals will be offended because they think you are signaling a dog to come over. Use the downward motion.In some cases, pointing your index finger to someone may be taken as offensive. You're making that person to "lose face" in public even though you may be justified in calling that person out.We all know about raising the eyebrow and pointing with your lips.....but perhaps some members could explain this uniqueFilipino gesture. And don't forget what a partially open mouth means when you ask him if he understood your instructions in English. It's almost the same as "yes" but in reality, he doesn't have the faintest clue.And my all time favorite: tapping your forearm with your fingers -- what does that mean?? he, he......Respectfully -- Jake

brock
Posted
Posted

What I have noticed is that filipinos nearly always give the wrong sign when giving a victory salute, 2 fingers in shape of a V is nearly always the wrong way around, The way they do it is telling someone to get F-----d.Or maybe they really know that :)

Jake
Posted
Posted
I agree with this thumbs up gesture being full of bull chit. Never heard anything negative in the Philippines about this certain body language being taken as an offensive gesture. The author is a blogger for AOL Travel section and from his response (at least the first 40), none came from the Philippines to confirm his conclusion.For those expats living in the Philippines for awhile, you guys already know the following body language are practiced and accepted among the locals:To summon a person, please do not use the upward motion of the fingers. If you do, most of the locals will be offended because they think you are signaling a dog to come over. Use the downward motion.In some cases, pointing your index finger to someone may be taken as offensive. You're making that person to "lose face" in public even though you may be justified in calling that person out.We all know about raising the eyebrow and pointing with your lips.....but perhaps some members could explain this uniqueFilipino gesture. And don't forget what a partially open mouth means when you ask him if he understood your instructions in English. It's almost the same as "yes" but in reality, he doesn't have the faintest clue.And my all time favorite: tapping your forearm with your fingers -- what does that mean?? he, he......Respectfully -- Jake
Wow, I just realize I'm replying to my own post -- anyway, I would like to add a couple more body language that may be unique to the Filipinos. I think it's more a behavioral trait but staring at someone because of curiosity or contempt haveresulted in shots fired or stabbing. Also, I found that personal space is non existent in the Philippines. Even if you finally arrive at the counter (Jollibee for example), the people around you will be up close and personal. Speaking of standing in line -- almost had a near death experience calling a person out for cutting in front of me -- thank god, he was alone or else I would be ganged up in broad daylight.Respectfully -- Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
To summon a person, please do not use the upward motion of the fingers. If you do, most of the locals will be offended because they think you are signaling a dog to come over. Use the downward motion.
This explains why I found it sort of funny watching the traffic cops waving the traffic through with a downward motion of the hand rather than upward.Learn something new everyday. :woohoo: