Dangers Of Filipino Body Language While They Travel

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Another angle to discuss on body language is that it can be a problem for Filipinos while in other countries as well. Just the other day my wife and I were out shopping for furniture and I found that the salesman would rather talk to her than to me and this had happened before as well, so when I discussed it with my wife she realized that maybe the salesmen might think she is flirting with them when she raises her eyebrows while agreeing with something they said. I guess burned in habits are hard to stop and especially since we live in the US and the Philippines. So all, body language might cause problems both ways and I wonder if anyone else may have noticed this issue or others body language issues when outside the Philippines.

• 2 months later...
Jake
Posted
Posted
Another angle to discuss on body language is that it can be a problem for Filipinos while in other countries as well. Just the other day my wife and I were out shopping for furniture and I found that the salesman would rather talk to her than to me and this had happened before as well, so when I discussed it with my wife she realized that maybe the salesmen might think she is flirting with them when she raises her eyebrows while agreeing with something they said. I guess burned in habits are hard to stop and especially since we live in the US and the Philippines. So all, body language might cause problems both ways and I wonder if anyone else may have noticed this issue or others body language issues when outside the Philippines.
It has happen to my wife Judy a few times now. A case in point is when she said thank you with a smile to a gentlemanthat held the door open when she entered the bank. Later, she was telling me that the guy followed her to her next errand.Pretending to go grocery shopping, she quickly walked back to her car and drove off, leaving the guy in the parking lot.It could be a perceived notion that Filipinas are easy targets for any aggressive young stud who thinks of themselves asbeing a control freak with the ladies. Maybe he has some prior experience that Filipinas in the States are shy and easily persuaded to become one of his trophies. I have always reminded her and my teenage daughter to be aware of theirsurroundings, especially the "innocent looking" sexual predators that are becoming more and more aggressive. Thankgod, Judy is Scorpion who learned to be more affirmative when dealing with undesirables. Respectfully -- Jake