Table Etiquette

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,I had a private conversation with Lee about our future get together, in which he cautioned me to wash my hands before I greet him he, he.Reminds me while I was still in the US Navy, I had a chance to visit Singapore for the first time. I would usually wander out by myself, taking photographs of people and their daily lifestyle. I came to this one Mom and Pop restaurant where they served some of the best chicken curry I've ever had. They came over to my table and flop down a large portion of rice smothered with curry onto a large banana leave. No plates and no utensils. Just the way I like it, strictly local tradition.Before i knew it, I was being stared at. I later found out that I was using my "bathroom hand" to feed myself. It's a cultural thing, in this case a Muslim culture where if one is caught with thievery, their "eating hand" is chopped off and be embarrassed for life (not to mentioned minus one hand for the rest of your life). The article below discusses "behanding":http://walrusmagazin...op-chop-square/And yes, they still perform beheadings --- Jake

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hey guys,I had a private conversation with Lee about our future get together, in which he cautioned me to wash my hands before I greet him he, he.Reminds me while I was still in the US Navy, I had a chance to visit Singapore for the first time. I would usually wander out by myself, taking photographs of people and their daily lifestyle. I came to this one Mom and Pop restaurant where they served some of the best chicken curry I've ever had. They came over to my table and flop down a large portion of rice smothered with curry onto a large banana leave. No plates and no utensils. Just the way I like it, strictly local tradition.Before i knew it, I was being stared at. I later found out that I was using my "bathroom hand" to feed myself. It's a cultural thing, in this case a Muslim culture where if one is caught with thievery, their "eating hand" is chopped off and be embarrassed for life (not to mentioned minus one hand for the rest of your life). The article below discusses "behanding":http://walrusmagazin...op-chop-square/And yes, they still perform beheadings --- Jake
:o :thumbsup: Jake which 1 is the bathroom hand coz I eat with both :th_thholysheep: :D :cheersty: SugarwareZ-047.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
:o :thumbsup: Jake which 1 is the bathroom hand coz I eat with both :th_thholysheep: :D :cheersty: SugarwareZ-047.gif
The left hand is considered the utility hand to wash your genitals, pick your nose, spanking the monkey, etc etc.....Jake

Travis
Posted
Posted
The left hand is considered the utility hand to wash your genitals, pick your nose, spanking the monkey, etc etc.....Jake
then I am happy I am a righty :D

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

What about the Filipino way of eating with a large spoon and fork? It sure isn't the Western way, it's just a cultural thing with the Filipinos! But when out in public eating in restaurants, the Western way is preferred as to not embarrass one self! I only eat with my right hand (washed with soap & water of course) on occasions when eating utensils aren't available. The fork and knife is my usual correct etiquette way, the large spoons are reserved for soups and for serving the main course dishes, the small spoon and forks are for salads and deserts! 7_4_17[1].gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
What about the Filipino way of eating with a large spoon and fork? It sure isn't the Western way, it's just a cultural thing with the Filipinos! But when out in public eating in restaurants, the Western way is preferred as to not embarrass one self! I only eat with my right hand (washed with soap & water of course) on occasions when eating utensils aren't available. The fork and knife is my usual correct etiquette way, the large spoons are reserved for soups and for serving the main course dishes, the small spoon and forks are for salads and deserts! 7_4_17[1].gif
Believe it or not, here in the States, I prefer using a large spoon rather than a fork. It's more efficient to scoop up the rice.My etiquette is thrown out the window, when I need to release some gas -- it enhances the Asian flavor he, he.Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I'm surprised you mention large spoon. I thought you might go straight to the real shocker, eating with the fingers. This surprised me, but I like it. And it's surprisingly not easy. I think learning chopsticks is easier than learning the right way to keep food from dropping between your fingers. Though not a Filipino thing, I like chopsticks now more than a knife, spoon, and fork. It just feels like an extension of my fingers. A knife and fork come in handy for western foods, like the meat, veggies, and potatoes. Spoons and forks work with rice, but a spoon is less needed with a steak.

No name
Posted
Posted

My grandfather, use to stand over me while I was working in his garden. He would carry a stick and say "boy, you eat with two hands, you work with two hands" then whack me with that stick. LOLWhen I was about nine, I stood up, turned around and balled my my fist. LOL That crusty old welder would have beat me and used me for flirtilizer. But, he just laughed and walked away. He loved that had the gall to do that. LOL

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
My grandfather, use to stand over me while I was working in his garden. He would carry a stick and say "boy, you eat with two hands, you work with two hands" then whack me with that stick. LOLWhen I was about nine, I stood up, turned around and balled my my fist. LOL That crusty old welder would have beat me and used me for flirtilizer. But, he just laughed and walked away. He loved that had the gall to do that. LOL
lol... that's hilarious. I remember (off topic) I wouldn't turn off the black and white tv in his house, about 10 years old, and my 85 year old farming and house-building gramps tried to cut-off the entrance to the living room. I did my best football stutter step and fakes, but he caught me by the back of the neck and flipped me over - an actual forward flip - onto my butt. Surprised, I'll respect him for life. (on topic) Have Filipinos adopted Western eating customs at a table where you don't put your elbows on it, chew with your mouth closed, and use manners? I'm not sure, because in all my Phil-Can, Philippines experiences, I've rarely ate at a table under formal circumstances.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I learned the hard way in my house that putting your elbows on the table as you ate was not something to do, as dad used to wack them off faster then a Bruce Lee combination. They said Rocky Marciano used to hit so hard he would just pound a guys forearms that he was using in defense until eventually he could not keep them up....I felt the same pain as I was a stubborn little bastard, and eventually had to eat like the dog as I could not hold up my arms and fork. One day, when much older... I came out with my football elbow pads and put my elbows on the table...as a joke. His stare however was as piercing as his hands, so I removed them far quicker as I was not wearing my cup. I prefer the Philippines method of the province....hands, with no dad around!