Ra 6768 Balikbayan Program (Aka Bb Stamp)

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Recently I sent an e-mail inquiry to the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco and here was their reply. Nothing really has changed.Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 7:59 AMTo: Information OfficerSubject: RA 6768 Balikbayan ProgramMessage I sent:I heard somewhere that RA6768 is no longer called the "Balikbayan Program". What is it referred to now and what do we ask immigration officials upon our return to the Philippines?What is stamped in our U.S. Passport to reflect the free 12 month stay in the Philippines?Are there any recent changes, revisions or memorandums to RA6768? Please see information below regarding your inquiry. Balikbayan Privileges and BenefitsThe following are considered balikbayan (returning Filipino) travelers to the Philippines: 1. a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one year; 2. a Filipino overseas worker; 3. a former Filipino citizen; and 4. alien spouse and children of balikbayan as defined in categories 1, 2, and 3 who are traveling with them.The following privileges and benefits are extended to the balikbayan: * Visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one (1) year for foreign passport holders, with the exception of restricted nationals. The immigration officer at the port of entry in the Philippines will stamp the one-year stay permit in the passport of the qualified balikbayan. Thus, a qualified balikbayan does not need to apply for a visa at the Consulate General. Exemption from travel tax. * Duty-free shopping privilege of up to US$2,000.00, provided that shopping must be done within two (2) days upon arrival and purchases must be made personally by the balikbayan.These benefits are available to the balikbayans every time they enter the Philippines regardless of their frequent travel. For more information, please read text of Republic Act 9174 "Balikbayan Law."For additional information, please do not hesitate to call us. Thank you very much.Philippine Consulate General447 Sutter Street 6/FSan Francisco, CA 94108(Tel) 415 433 6666 (Fax) 415 421 2641 www.philippinessanfrancisco.org

Edited by Fil/AmArt

sjp52
Posted
Posted

The following privileges and benefits are extended to the balikbayan: * Visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one (1) year for foreign passport holders, with the exception of restricted nationals. The immigration officer at the port of entry in the Philippines will stamp the one-year stay permit in the passport of the qualified balikbayan. Thus, a qualified balikbayan does not need to apply for a visa at the Consulate General. Exemption from travel tax. * Duty-free shopping privilege of up to US$2,000.00, provided that shopping must be done within two (2) days upon arrival and purchases must be made personally by the balikbayan.Is duty free shopping at the airport and is it worth it. Good prices, nice stuff to buy ?

softail
Posted
Posted

Yea, I have always wondered where the duty free shopping is supposed to be down as well. BTW thanks for the nice report!Doug and Sally

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, we don't do the duty free shopping anymore! The prices and item selections aren't that cheap and what ever they do sell you can probably find at any SM mall or Pure Gold Supermarket near you depending on which region of the Philippines you are visiting! It's just a tourist gimmick or ploy where the Philippine government think they can make money in the name of tourism, like they do with the expensive resorts at nice fancy beaches where there's two prices, one for the foreign tourists with money to burn and one for the well to do "Balikbayans", the rich and famous local Filipinos!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Is duty free shopping at the airport and is it worth it. Good prices, nice stuff to buy ?
It depends!Sometimes, alcohol prices are cheaper in the supermarket than in the duty free shop. I find this especially so for alcohol in the Collononade supermarket on Colon in downtown Cebu City.However, 5 years ago, when I wanted an airconditioner, the cheapest price was in the duty free.No idea where they are in Manila but "Duty Free Philippines" has a supermarket style outlet in SM Mall in Cebu City. They also have a smaller outlet in the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug, Cebu City. The Waterfront shop is mostly handbags, cigarettes, alcohol and perfume The SM store has all sorts of stuff. At one time you could buy froot loops there although there were no froot loops last time I checked.Regards: Jim Sibbick