Bi And Stricter Entrance

No name
Posted
Posted

I wonder how many expats end up broke here and a "ward of the state."I have seen a lot of Filipino in need of assistance that don't get it.Get sick here, have no money, die.Article indicates a second level of screening to keep foreigners out of the country:"Among the factors to be considered in conducting secondary inspections are the foreigner’s age, health, financial status, education and skill, return ticket, travel purpose, history and accommodation, and sponsorship of trip"http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view/20101005-296089/Stricter-measures-in-screening-of-foreign-nationals--BII guess it doesn't happen much but its a bit scary all the same.

Jake
Posted
Posted
I wonder how many expats end up broke here and a "ward of the state."I have seen a lot of Filipino in need of assistance that don't get it.Get sick here, have no money, die.Article indicates a second level of screening to keep foreigners out of the country:"Among the factors to be considered in conducting secondary inspections are the foreigner’s age, health, financial status, education and skill, return ticket, travel purpose, history and accommodation, and sponsorship of trip"http://globalnation....n-nationals--BII guess it doesn't happen much but its a bit scary all the same.
The second level of screening makes sense to me. However, further reading reveals a possible angle to get more revenue for the Bureau of Immigration:"Lawyer Arvin Santos, BI airport operations division chief, said a passenger who is deemed ineligible to enter the country shall be excluded immediately and booked on the first available flight to his or her port of origin. Santos however said affected foreigners may still appeal their case for reconsideration by the immigration OIC by applying for a waiver of exclusion and payment of the required waiver fee". Slick, very slick ..... another "under the table" negotiation deal -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah, they're getting stricker alright, but the rule has been in place for quite awhile whenever one does their visa extensions beyond the 16 or 24 months during their interview as to why one wants to extend their stay in the Philippines! The Commissioner is suppose to ask for adequate source of income and any other document requirements prior to approving the extension request.Eventually all the BI offices will probably start making checks of return or on-ward tickets or proof of adequate income during the second 59 day tourist visa extension request prior to the stamping of one's passport and issuance of an ACR I-Card.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sounds to me pretty much the same as in any country immigration rules,nothing new.

No name
Posted
Posted

I got the impression there would be a second phase nowThough, yes, the same law is being applied.Probably mostly a stunt to try to appease all the UN and US criticism regarding trafficking.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

There's an old British guy homeless around the 711 where we stay in Marikina. He always comes up to me to talk about ESL jobs in Manila or how the current ESL market is in China, and that's where I should go. He takes my contact information down in a notebook and says he'll contact me about jobs later. He's super friendly and kind, but raggedy and dirty. The taxi drivers hanging out there told my wife that he was married or dating a Filipina before, who he owned a house and internet cafe with. Then she broke up with him and her Filipino boyfriend moved in with her, and they kept the businesses to themselves. He must've had a nervous breakdown, is my guess. He used to sleep outside the 711, even in the rain, and the taxi drivers would give him stuff to eat, they tell us. In one conversation I had with him, he mentioned he has a daughter working in a call-center in Manila, which seems weird to me, if she's half British. I don't know the full or maybe even accurate story, but that's what we hear. My wife feels bad for him and wonders how it could happen to him, and I tell her it's the same reason big American cities have homeless people: mental-illnesses. There's drug addiction, too, but that doesn't seem to be his problem. Always hoping things work out for him.

No name
Posted
Posted
Always hoping things work out for him.
Wow, that makes my bleeding heart so sad. Kicks in my knight in shining armour instinct but I finally learned I have enough trouble rescuing myself.I knew a guy here that had no income. He did just fine. Making a few bucks here and a few there.Thing is, people can make money online. It does take some effort.