Weapons

Magyar
Posted
Posted

Everywhere I read that it is not legal to bring weapons and ammo into the Philippines, either as checked baggage or as a part of a shipment.What is a law-abiding, gun-toting cowboy to do? I feel naked without my .40 Ruger on my hip and I cannot drive without my Remington 870 in my car. I just spent 1 1/2 years in Montana and if you don't carry people think you are from back east.Is there a lawful way for me to bring in my handguns and shotguns? I am willing to leave my automatic weapons behind (yes, they are legal here).

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Everywhere I read that it is not legal to bring weapons and ammo into the Philippines, either as checked baggage or as a part of a shipment.What is a law-abiding, gun-toting cowboy to do? I feel naked without my .40 Ruger on my hip and I cannot drive without my Remington 870 in my car. I just spent 1 1/2 years in Montana and if you don't carry people think you are from back east.Is there a lawful way for me to bring in my handguns and shotguns? I am willing to leave my automatic weapons behind (yes, they are legal here).
Unfortunately the simple answer is NO. Only Filipinos can have firearms, that is unless you get to know the right people and pay off big time and that type of relationship would take a lot of time to develop and the guns would most likely have to be bought in the Philippines. I have also been told by gun shops and some law enforcement people that foreigners who own businesses and can prove a need can get permits but I have not bothered to try to get one for now.BTW, I am a gun nut too and both my wife and I have carry permits, yet we manage to live without our guns while we are in Cebu part of the year at our home there. My wife can own a gun in the Philippines, and as of now we have not bothered, and we have been going back and forth for over 16 years now.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Yes I had to vault a few firearms back home. I have yet to feel the need.for a pistol or a long rifle, but having a large farm there are sometimes needs for a shogun.

Magyar
Posted
Posted

Mr Lee,Many thanks for your reply. As I am relocating to Cebu, I will sell my guns before leaving. It is a shame -- I see many young rent-a-cops in the PI, most of them seem to be untrained to the point of being vulnerable to an infriendly stare, carrying loaded handguns and shotguns.Best Regards,Magyar

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Mr Lee,Many thanks for your reply. As I am relocating to Cebu, I will sell my guns before leaving. It is a shame -- I see many young rent-a-cops in the PI, most of them seem to be untrained to the point of being vulnerable to an infriendly stare, carrying loaded handguns and shotguns.Best Regards,Magyar
You are correct, there are many poorly trained armed guards carrying guns and I find it is just best to steer clear of them when they are handling their shotguns or M16 improperly, but as many of us alway say, this is the Philippines mon and often things that would make sense to us, just is not how things are done, so we either learn to accept how things are done, or we cannot live within. Life is basically safe for us if we use common sense, do not dress rich and do not get into businesses that handle a lot of cash.