How To Haggle In Cebuano

KeithAngel
Posted
Posted

Our latest group class covered How much (does it cost) Tag pilaand various permutations of Pahang yu-a ko...................Give me a discountPobre man ko.......................I am poor LOLNext week we are going on a field trip to a wet market to practice our new found skills that should be a laugh :AddEmoticons04230: we also do tounge exersizes for getting that dratted ng sound hope the locals are entertained

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Our latest group class covered How much (does it cost) Tag pilaand various permutations of Pahang yu-a ko...................Give me a discountPobre man ko.......................I am poor LOLNext week we are going on a field trip to a wet market to practice our new found skills that should be a laugh :AddEmoticons04230: we also do tounge exersizes for getting that dratted ng sound hope the locals are entertained
How do you say, 'Wife, go shopping and get me XYZ?' That always seems to get me the best prices.

KeithAngel
Posted
Posted (edited)
How do you say, 'Wife, go shopping and get me XYZ?' That always seems to get me the best prices.
Realy where did you find her? When my wonderful lady says "Mulakaw ko para magpalit ug carrots" (I will go out and buy carrots)my experience is that 1 item magicaly transform into 10 including various lotions and I get saved even more money :AddEmoticons04230: But to answer your question(insert endearment) lakaw ug paliti ko ug ABY (no xz in Cebuano) Edited by KeithAngel

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Having a great mother inlaw helps ;-) I never do any shopping unless its electronic or mechanical.. simply because i find the range available a bit limited to what im used to.. but also the fact my mother inlaw gets a better deal when it comes to Wet markets.. We can never be local our skin colour and being a foot taller gives it away..lol

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've had very little problem here because the locals in the wet market have seen me many times and they know I know the prices. Even in the beginning just the fact that I shopped there alone was enough to cause them to take caution about trying to jack the price up.The prices in the market are pretty much set and as long as they are fair I don't try and haggle them down. They are making very slim margins as it is! They pretty much all buy from the same wholesalers so there usually is not much variance in price.Knowing a little of the language and using it properly sure does help. But often it can get me in trouble when I do as they come back at me with machine gun Cebuano. LOLOL

Edited by BobNChe