Religious Life In Pi

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not going to start a thread bashing or critiquing anyone's beliefs. I love debating religion, but not in this thread. I'm wondering though how the local religious culture or customs interacts with your life? My wife warned me not to tell people what I really think about Christianity when we're in her town or it could backfire and destroy our business. Apparently there's the Catholic half and the Aglipay Christians. She says if someone invites us to church, just go to be polite, and keep what you're thinking to yourself. Otherwise, you don't need to go. Although there are plenty of people who don't care about religion in her town, all the influential people do. Anyways, just wondering if anyone's gotten into trouble with a girlfriend/wife or their family, or anyone else, for having the wrong beliefs, no beliefs, or for being critical of the man who's name we shall not speak.In a practical sense, though neither my wife nor I are Christian, we apparently need to baptize our kids (at her insistence) because not doing so just isn't not don't done. We need baptism papers for school registration for one thing, although I'm not sure if legally we do. The other thing is it's a monumental celebration for Filipinos, religious or not, so not doing it makes us look like we don't love our kids, and our kids are weird. So I decided to give in on the baptism thing, for party's sake, but if we ever have a boy, I'm NOT letting them cut his tee tee (circumcision).

Edited by ekimswish

brock
Posted
Posted
I'm not going to start a thread bashing or critiquing anyone's beliefs. I love debating religion, but not in this thread. I'm wondering though how the local religious culture or customs interacts with your life? My wife warned me not to tell people what I really think about Christianity when we're in her town or it could backfire and destroy our business. Apparently there's the Catholic half and the Aglipay Christians. She says if someone invites us to church, just go to be polite, and keep what you're thinking to yourself. Otherwise, you don't need to go. Although there are plenty of people who don't care about religion in her town, all the influential people do. Anyways, just wondering if anyone's gotten into trouble with a girlfriend/wife or their family, or anyone else, for having the wrong beliefs, no beliefs, or for being critical of the man who's name we shall not speak.In a practical sense, though neither my wife nor I are Christian, we apparently need to baptize our kids (at her insistence) because not doing so just isn't not don't done. We need baptism papers for school registration for one thing, although I'm not sure if legally we do. The other thing is it's a monumental celebration for Filipinos, religious or not, so not doing it makes us look like we don't love our kids, and our kids are weird. So I decided to give in on the baptism thing, for party's sake, but if we ever have a boy, I'm NOT letting them cut his tee tee (circumcision).
Well I am a non believer, I am completely against it, And if anybody starts to ramble on about it, Then I voice my opinion too, I respect other peoples thoughts on the matter, But I expect them to respect mine too, My wife is a member of the LDS, I have been to her church and had a meeting with the president, My wife warned him of my beliefs, But he was a gentleman, And we had a great discussion, He told me that if we talked for a couple of months, He would change my beliefs, I told him if we did talk for a couple of months, I might change his beliefs, And we had a laugh about it, I also met a couple of young American guys over on missionary work and had a nice chat with them too, All very nice people, And they respected my views, I think if people talk to you and try to shove it down your throat, Then they cannot hold it against you if you voice your opinion too, My wife soon cuts anybody short now if they start to talk about it. Because she knows that I will start too. She asked if it was ok for her to take my daughters to church, I said of course it is, But when they get old enough to make up their own mind, Then it is up to them if they go or not.As for kids having to be babtised before you can register them, I dont think that is correct, because my daughters have not been babtised as of yet, And had no trouble get registering them for school, Also not everybody in the Philippines is religious,Plus some maybe couldnt afford to get babtised.Regards Brock.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Out of respect, I stop while they have the 3 o'clock prayer. Otherwise I don't let any religion interfere with my life.Regards; Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm a Fil/Am and when ever some one asks me what my religious faith is, I tell them that I'm an agnostic and just waiting for a Revelation or Armageddon! Nothing more is asked after that, they just give me a weird look and go about their business!