2Ndhand Car Prices

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

My wife's looking online for 2nd hand car prices, and says the lowest she's seeing is 130~150k for old, small cars. I'm thinking even in Canada I could do better than that. These cars are like 15 years old. I bought my first car - also 15 years old at the time - for $400 (16k pesos?), so 130~150k seems a bit much to me. Can anyone confirm or destroy my belief that there must be a way to buy an older, yet somewhat reliable car for around 40,000 pesos? I'm not talking about reliable for years and years. Just a reliable car for one year, until I have more money to get a nicer thing.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted (edited)
My wife's looking online for 2nd hand car prices, and says the lowest she's seeing is 130~150k for old, small cars. I'm thinking even in Canada I could do better than that. These cars are like 15 years old. I bought my first car - also 15 years old at the time - for $400 (16k pesos?), so 130~150k seems a bit much to me. Can anyone confirm or destroy my belief that there must be a way to buy an older, yet somewhat reliable car for around 40,000 pesos? I'm not talking about reliable for years and years. Just a reliable car for one year, until I have more money to get a nicer thing.
Check out this site mate, it will give you some idea of what's available - http://www.ayosdito....ps=&pe=&rs=&re=To my mind, your best bet is one of the multicabs - small but reliable, easy to repair and cheap to run.Paul Edited by ancienrocka

Braddo
Posted
Posted

I bought this little car for P40,000 it is a 2003 Toyota running gear with a fiberglass Jeep sort off body it is great for when we go there on holidays no more trikes and hiring vans the wife 3 kids and me fit just nicely Cheers Braddo :23_11_62[1]:

post-747-071051700 1288172872_thumb.jpg

post-747-004553300 1288172888_thumb.jpg

post-747-019246600 1288172896_thumb.jpg

post-747-073696300 1288172906_thumb.jpg

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Yeah, one thing I have noticed since being here is that used cars are WAY overpriced, yet...new Japanese cars are quite comparable to the states. :th_thholysheep:The American living in the house we are going to rent in Davao City, nice guy from Houston and named Ray (in case he reads these forums)...well, he paid almost double for a used SUV vs. what he would of paid in the states. I agree, for short errands those scrums and multicabs make perfect sense, but all that I have looked at have overheating issues and thus, no air con...so any long trip would be miserable IMHO.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I bought this little car for P40,000 it is a 2003 Toyota running gear with a fiberglass Jeep sort off body it is great for when we go there on holidays no more trikes and hiring vans the wife 3 kids and me fit just nicely Cheers Braddo :23_11_62[1]:
Dude...that car is :whistling:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's my 1979 Toyota Corolla SR, 2 door coup I had since 2000 and she's still running good. I paid P60,000 for her, but spent an additional P42,000 for her total restoration, except for any engine work since the 3K engine, 4 speed transmission was still in good condition without any oil leaks and the air conditioning still works too!It's time for me to buy another vehicle, but I'll still keep my "Little Red Toy". post-682-018634600 1288408425_thumb.jpgpost-682-070230100 1288408459_thumb.jpgpost-682-067302800 1288408368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 1 month later...
Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Admiring Adventureguy's Jeep Wrangler reminded me of my own beloved Jeep, which was assembled in Manila back in the 1990's. It was a Wrangler (extended for 7 passengers) and made of galvanized steel body with a large 4 banger and 4 speed manual. As requested, the suspension was modified a little bit to fit oversized rims and tires. Half way through the assembly process, I was invited by the lead mechanic to chose my engine and transmission. I entered this large building full of auto parts and about a dozen engines just sitting on the dirt floor. These are surplus engines that mostly came from Japan. Luckily, they had an old school 2 barrel carb 2.4L four banger already mated with a manual transmission. Once selection was made, a portable battery was connected to the starter solenoid, they added some gas to the fuel line and to my surprise, it kicked over and began idling smoothly after the fuel line was cleared of contaminates. Had it painted dark smoke grey with dark tinted windows. It became a solid family work horse and often times was mistaken for an undercover Narcom (PNP Narcotics command) vehicle. If I remember correctly, paid about equivalent 6K US bucks for it. Today, these assemblers even have scaled down Hummers, lifted to fit bigoff road tires. I think I will get one with a 50 cal mounted on top......he, he.Respectfully -- JakePS -- Hey Braddo, nice ride

Edited by Jake