Can A Union Strike Work In The Phl?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This can affect the whole Philippines if it were to succeed, so while this story is about VECO in Cebu, I wonder what will happen with other union affiliates if a strike is actually allowed to happen and not severely dealt with, and more important, how can a strike work if they still give service and guarantee no power interruptions? The employees union of the Visayan Electric Company filed a notice of strike at the National Conciliation and Mediation Board yesterday. The members of the Visayan Electric Company Employees Union - Associated Labor Unions-Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (VECEU-ALU-TUCP) filed the notice of strike after their president was sacked from his job. The union filed the notice to strike on the grounds of unfair labor practice. Union president Casimero Mahilum said that he was terminated on the ground of loss of trust and confidence. ALU-TUCP on the other hand expressed disgust over the management's decision to terminate the local president and vowed to give its full support to the union. Mahilum said that union members will be holding a strike vote either on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. It has a total of 239 members.  VECO, in a press statement, assured the public that there will be no interruption in the delivery of power to its franchise area in case the strike will push through. VECO spokesperson Ethel Natera said that they shall ensure that their services such as customer requests, applications and payments as well as complaints will be acted on in a manner that the VECO customer requires and deserves.The complete story HERE

No name
Posted
Posted

No power interruptions?If that is true, then I hope they strike.The power interruptions have been horrible in Northern Cebu.I live in Bogo City and we are services by a local coop but they are connect to VECO. It is the NPC (I think) National Power Corporation that controls these rotational brownouts that we have been having. They brownout an area for two yours usually.When we call our local provider they say NPC told us to turn it off so we have no choice.I thought about leaving the Bogo area because of this but then I learned it is happening all over the Visayas, especially the Central and Eastern Visayas. So there's not close place to run too. In Bogo City there is only one place to go when there is a power failure, Jolibee's. I usually tuff them out but sometimes I go for the aircon. Due to my failing health, the heat is really hard on me.I did buy two battery powered fans. That helps a lot. If longer than two hours though, I start to get sick.