Brownouts

No name
Posted
Posted

The thing I hate about the Philippines is the freaking dreaded but almost as certain as taxes and more frequent that death are brownouts. Possibly more frequent than taxes too!Just read an article about the electrical problems in the Visayas. There are some promising things but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I have before, one learns if you beat them with a stick long enough and I've got brownout bruises haha.Two new power plants are to be in operation this month. Seems like Lee might have posted about this a while back? Not sure.Article I read was just out today though. It indicates that May and October are the worst months. May because it is so freaking hot and October as the merchants get ready for Christmas.here is the article: http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/285765/doe-assures-visayas-enough-power-during-holidaysBantayan Island has been hard hit with brownouts lately. They had some kind of problem and need to rebuild a generator I think. The Bantayan power company said it takes time now that the parts are in. Why do I get this picture of the parts in a box supporting the case of SM sitting on top of it. :3_8_14[1]: Half empty case of SM that is. lol

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)
The thing I hate about the Philippines is the freaking dreaded but almost as certain as taxes and more frequent that death are brownouts. Possibly more frequent than taxes too!Just read an article about the electrical problems in the Visayas. There are some promising things but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I have before, one learns if you beat them with a stick long enough and I've got brownout bruises haha.Two new power plants are to be in operation this month. Seems like Lee might have posted about this a while back? Not sure.Article I read was just out today though. It indicates that May and October are the worst months. May because it is so freaking hot and October as the merchants get ready for Christmas.here is the article: http://www.mb.com.ph...during-holidaysBantayan Island has been hard hit with brownouts lately. They had some kind of problem and need to rebuild a generator I think. The Bantayan power company said it takes time now that the parts are in. Why do I get this picture of the parts in a box supporting the case of SM sitting on top of it. :3_8_14[1]: Half empty case of SM that is. lol
Anyone interested in buying Honda generators in Cebu City ?. Regards Brock. Edited by brock

No name
Posted
Posted
Anyone interested in buying Honda generators in Cebu City ?. Regards Brock.
How much?

brock
Posted
Posted
Anyone interested in buying Honda generators in Cebu City ?. Regards Brock.
How much?
I really have no idea Rusty, I was just thinking of sending some over from the UK , Just wondering if it would be profitable or not to get them over, I have no idea what a good second hand generator would cost in Cebu.Regards Brock.

No name
Posted
Posted
I really have no idea Rusty, I was just thinking of sending some over from the UK , Just wondering if it would be profitable or not to get them over, I have no idea what a good second hand generator would cost in Cebu.Regards Brock.
I can get them locally. Under P10,000 on Bantayan Island, cheap china stuff but they will keep the lights on. :3_8_14[1]:

• 2 months later...
Yank
Posted
Posted
The thing I hate about the Philippines is the freaking dreaded but almost as certain as taxes and more frequent that death are brownouts. Possibly more frequent than taxes too!Just read an article about the electrical problems in the Visayas. There are some promising things but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I have before, one learns if you beat them with a stick long enough and I've got brownout bruises haha.Two new power plants are to be in operation this month. Seems like Lee might have posted about this a while back? Not sure.Article I read was just out today though. It indicates that May and October are the worst months. May because it is so freaking hot and October as the merchants get ready for Christmas.here is the article: http://www.mb.com.ph...during-holidaysBantayan Island has been hard hit with brownouts lately. They had some kind of problem and need to rebuild a generator I think. The Bantayan power company said it takes time now that the parts are in. Why do I get this picture of the parts in a box supporting the case of SM sitting on top of it. :) Half empty case of SM that is. lol
Yeah I live in Basak and the brownouts are dreadful here as well.

Rudderless
Posted
Posted

So what should I expect? I'll be moving to Cebu City in March. How often do brownouts occur there?Also, do most places have generators to keep the lights on / internet up?Rudderless

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
So what should I expect? I'll be moving to Cebu City in March. How often do brownouts occur there?Also, do most places have generators to keep the lights on / internet up?Rudderless
The brownouts were not as bad in Cebu City as on Mactan, so we only had them a few days a week and they would last about one hour each time. Veco (the electric company) sends out notices of advanced planned shut downs, and I have gotten few of late (we are in the states right now), so the problem is probably less presently. I use a UPS on my laptop computer, modem and router and the internet went down rarely that way but if the planned shut down was in the area where the DSL comes from, then we lost internet. I think I lost internet once in 4 months last year because of my UPS, but even then you would have to buy a large enough unit to last for the time frame in order to stay online because I used to shut down my stuff once the power went out and used the UPS to give me time for the shut down and to finish what I was doing at the time the power went out.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The brownouts were not as bad in Cebu City as on Mactan, so we only had them a few days a week and they would last about one hour each time. Veco (the electric company) sends out notices of advanced planned shut downs, and I have gotten few of late (we are in the states right now), so the problem is probably less presently. I use a UPS on my laptop computer, modem and router and the internet went down rarely that way but if the planned shut down was in the area where the DSL comes from, then we lost internet. I think I lost internet once in 4 months last year because of my UPS, but even then you would have to buy a large enough unit to last for the time frame in order to stay online because I used to shut down my stuff once the power went out and used the UPS to give me time for the shut down and to finish what I was doing at the time the power went out.
In my opinion and not being there at the moment the brown outs should be less than before since the rains have been falling heavy in the hydro electric catchments which was most of the problem in the past year or two.Someone living in the city will answer this properly I'm sure.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Someone living in the city will answer this properly I'm sure.
Some people living in the city have found that as soon as one says there have been no brown outs for a while now, then we get a whole string of them, so some people learn to be superstitious and say nothing whistling.gif