Us Funding On Hold Due To Rp Corruption

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?Artic...ubCategoryId=63US funding on hold due to RP corruption By Jose Katigbak, STAR Washington bureau Updated December 15, 2008 12:00 AM WASHINGTON

Travis
Posted
Posted

Thed whole world is corrupt and the Philippines may be just a little more corrupt.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Thed whole world is corrupt and the Philippines may be just a little more corrupt.
I've seen this sentiment expressed many times but I disagree. I've lived in numerous countries over the years (India, Mexico, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Canada, US) and I'm constantly amazed by the level of corruption here in the RP. It's far more pervasive here than anywhere else I've ever lived. It's not just the frequency of corruption but also the acceptance level. The people don't even think twice when a govt. official solicits a bribe or overcharges them for something and the govt. officials factor the black money income into their personal budgets. It is expected and accepted by everyone that the govt. will steal from the people.In countries where corruption is not so pervasive you will see govt. officials removed from office or prosecuted for their wrongdoing. In the US for example, the senator from Alaska, the Congressman from San Diego, and the Governor of Illinois have all either been prosecuted or will be shortly for their misdeeds. If the court clerk asks for an extra $100 to file your marriage/divorce/bankruptcy/etc. paperwork, people would turn him in and he'd be fired and prosecuted. In the RP if you reported a govt. official soliciting a bribe the response would be nothing or they would take action against the person complaining. The only time a government official is prosecuted is when they lose an election, fail to share their black money with the correct people, or piss off someone more powerful.As you point out, corruption is present everywhere, but what separates countries is how it is dealt with when it happens. In this regard, the RP is far behind any other place I've ever lived.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

And unfortunately it is not likely to change. Efforts to eliminate corrupt officials have usually just resulted in them being replaced by someone even more corrupt.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I will second The Mason's opinion - having travelled most of the world the RP is far and away the most corrupt country I have experienced. Corruption pervaids every level of society to the extent that the populous assume everyone is bent.This is used by the oligarchs to maintain their power: we get a lot but you can have some as well if you just keep quiet. The loosers: the poor who know if they start to stand up for themselves they will be shot, literally.I applaud the MCC for saying what they did and at least some good money won't follow bad and it will go to those that are actually trying to get better. Let's face it, not one peso of the money given would find its way to where it was intended.Until Filipinos start to think about something other than "maco man" and how they can make things better for everyone nothing will change. Sorry if these words upset anyone but I'm not Filipino, just well travelled.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

Yes I agree, the problem is systemic because the people accept it as status quo and go along their merry way. It's ways like this where the rest of the world must demand a higher standard in order for the Philippines to participate in a worldwide economy, especially when borrowing money or accepting grants.When $100M comes in from whatever source, probably no more than 1/3 of it ever reaches the intended purpose. The rest is siphoned off to the people administering the project. I have spoken directly with people involved in such endeavors and they will tell you straight up, this is how things are done in the Philippines and right now there is no way around it.I applaud the MMC's decision.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?Artic...ubCategoryId=63Palace exec hits US aid body By Paolo Romero Updated December 16, 2008 12:00 AM Stung by criticism of the government