Newsbriefs

News Reader
Posted
Posted

EIGHT workers were killed when a fire gutted a commercial building in a village in Cagayan de Oro City early Saturday, fire officials said.View the full article

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
EIGHT workers were killed when a fire gutted a commercial building in a village in Cagayan de Oro City early Saturday, fire officials said.View the full article
This is terrible to read because I know workers are often left locked in for the night in some businesses and just the thought of them dying that way brings chills to my spine. I have a friend in Manila who used to lock his housekeeper in the house when they went away because past housekeepers would steal and leave, I do not know if he still does it because I have not spoken to him in a while but this just reminded me to email him.  Homes and businesses in the PHL can become prisons when worker have to stay while the owners are away. I wonder if this is also practiced in other countries? I know they would never get away with it for long in the US.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This is terrible to read because I know workers are often left locked in for the night in some businesses and just the thought of them dying that way brings chills to my spine. I have a friend in Manila who used to lock his housekeeper in the house when they went away because past housekeepers would steal and leave, I do not know if he still does it because I have not spoken to him in a while but this just reminded me to email him. Homes and businesses in the PHL can become prisons when worker have to stay while the owners are away. I wonder if this is also practiced in other countries? I know they would never get away with it for long in the US.
The story said nothing about anyone being locked in for the night,it said they were sleeping and the fire started at the entrance on the first floor blocking their exit. They were on the second floor.
Fire kills 8 Amomonpon said the fire started at the entrance of the ground floor of the building.“The victims were sleeping at the second floor so there was almost no way out,” he said, adding that the burning gate leading outside prevented the victims from escaping.Five other workers suffered injuries when they jumped off a window, Amomonpon said.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The story said nothing about anyone being locked in for the night,it said they were sleeping and the fire started at the entrance on the first floor blocking their exit. They were on the second floor.
I am not sure but I took the words the burning gate to mean the gate on the door leading to outside, which was no doubt locked since most businesses that I see in CDO lock up tight at night from the outside and not from the inside. Of course if it was on fire anyway then it might not matter that it was locked, yet I have to wonder how a steel gate would be on fire?
   “The victims were sleeping at the second floor so there was almost no way out,” he said, adding that the burning gate leading outside prevented the victims from escaping.