Mindanao Power: Crisis Not Over Yet

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder when the government will make Mindanao a priority instead of ignoring that part of the country so often. It looks like those of you who live there will still have to put up with the outages long into the future and I guess my wife and I will have to deal with it whenever we visit CDO and her family in Mindanao.MINDANAO will experience another power deficiency by at least 150 megawatts starting next year, according to an official of the Energy Development Corp. (EDC), the country's biggest producer of renewable energy.EDC resident manager Alejandro Catacutan of the Mindanao Geothermal Production Field (MGPF) said there is already a shortage in terms of power requirements for Mindanao. "Our dependable capacity is not enough to cover such deficiency," Catacutan told Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo in a briefing on the Mindanao power situation at the EDC compound at Barangay Ilomavis in Kidapawan city yesterday.Robredo, together with Cotabato 2nd district Rep. Nancy Catamco, Cotabato Gov. Lala Taliño-Mendoza, and officials of the Kidapawan City government, visited the Mindanao geothermal production field where they were also informed of the EDC's plan to construct another geothermal plant at Mount Apo.The construction of the project dubbed as Mindanao 3, according to Catacutan, is "indispensable" or "necessary" to respond to the looming power crisis, which will affect Mindanao starting next year.The complete story HERE