Travelers Checks

No name
Posted
Posted

I am pretty sure know the answer to this question but some of you might have specific information that I don't know. I've never tried using Travelers checks.Someone about to make his virgin trip asked me if he could use Travelers Checks here. My knee jerk reaction was no. But... I've learned just because I haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done.Have any of you ever tried that? He tells me he was here in 84 and used them. That shocked me.i'm thinking perhaps if you stay at one of the high class hotels in Cebu you might be able to cash them there. Last time I tried to use them in the USA that was the only place I could cash them.Anyone with actual experience with this?Thanks!

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
...using Travelers checks.Anyone with actual experience with this?
Flirltilzier... I bring Am Ex travelers checks and cash them in a few $100s at a time so as to preserve cash for emergencies... ...In Cebu City Ayala Mall, there is a Travel Agency that cashes Am Ex Traveler Checks, at just a few pesos less than the exchange rate... located outside South Entrance, not far from Taxi "stand". I've never tried to use them at any business.Tom in Texas

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am pretty sure  know the answer to this question but some of you might have specific information that I don't know.  I've never tried using Travelers checks.Someone about to make his virgin trip asked me if he could use Travelers Checks here.   My knee jerk reaction was no.  But... I've learned just because I haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done.Have any of you ever tried that?  He tells me he was here in 84 and used them.  That shocked me.i'm thinking perhaps if you stay at one of the high class hotels in Cebu you might be able to cash them there.  Last time I tried to use them in the USA that was the only place I could cash them.Anyone with actual experience with this?Thanks!
You will find a post I made about this HERE which covers the whole subject but IMO travelers check cashing is a rip off in the Philippines and you might just as well use an ATM card from your home country because they charge both a fee and give you a lower exchange rate but if you are just being a tourist for a short period of time then maybe it pays, but not for any of us who live there or spend a lot of time within the PHL IMO.

No name
Posted
Posted
I am pretty sure know the answer to this question but some of you might have specific information that I don't know. I've never tried using Travelers checks.Someone about to make his virgin trip asked me if he could use Travelers Checks here. My knee jerk reaction was no. But... I've learned just because I haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done.Have any of you ever tried that? He tells me he was here in 84 and used them. That shocked me.i'm thinking perhaps if you stay at one of the high class hotels in Cebu you might be able to cash them there. Last time I tried to use them in the USA that was the only place I could cash them.Anyone with actual experience with this?Thanks!
You will find a post I made about this HERE which covers the whole subject but IMO travelers check cashing is a rip off in the Philippines and you might just as well use an ATM card from your home country because they charge both a fee and give you a lower exchange rate but if you are just being a tourist for a short period of time then maybe it pays, but not for any of us who live there or spend a lot of time within the PHL IMO.
Thanks Lee. Yeah I wouldn't do it that way, yeah the guy is coming fo a short visit. That is useful info in your post though.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I think I had them my first time in the Philippines and couldn't cash them in the Glorietta in Makati, but was told to do it at a bank. This might never have happened, as it was 6 years ago and my memory is "maturing". At the same time, I specifically remember using my credit card, eventually. Remember it being a hassle, assuming it actually happened and this isn't something I dreamt.

• 1 month later...
gapotwo
Posted
Posted

I still remember back in the day in olongapo city when american express travelers checks were popular in the BLACK MARKET.the bombay loan sharks were buying them at 50 cents on the dollar, and the holder would get 100 percent back from american express in subic bay for reporting them lost or stolen, by the time they surfaced in a hong kong bank, both vendor and vendee where nowhere to be found.......... sonothing is really safe in the wild wild east, not even american express ... tanks ej.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Traveler's checks? They still sell those? I haven't used them in over 45 yrs! I used to always carry pocket change and a credit card, but not anymore! Now I carry a wad of loose pesos and an ATM card!Laki ako sa gatas....... ng Nanay ko! SugarwareZ-034.gifth_thholysheep.gif

Edited by Fil/AmArt