Why Does Justice Take So Long In The Phl

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Maybe it is just me, but how can a country ever advance to get other countries to trust it enough to open businesses, when justice takes so long in it? Below is a story about a lawsuit from 2000 that a court just ruled on an appeal of 2005?   :D  And if a company cannot even get the CBCP to pay a bill owed to it, then why would any business wish to trust anyone in the country by giving them credit, I know that anything I were to ever do in the PHL would have to be cash in hand or I sure would not wish to do it. And last, if you cannot trust the church to pay its bills and not lie, then what type of model does that set for the people? So I guess now the church will now be asking its parishioners to give them money so they can pay their long overdue bill.   :(The complete story HEREThe Court of Appeals (CA) has upheld a ruling by a lower court ordering the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) to pay a furniture company P20 million.In a 32-page decision, the CA denied the CBCP’s appeal on the March 3, 2005 judgment of the Mandaluyong City regional trial court favoring Spinbase International Corp.The decision was written by Associate Franchito Diamante and concurred in by Associate Justices Josefina Guevarra-Salonga and Mariflor Punzalan-Castillo of the CA’s Fourth Division.CBCP owed Spinbase P19,787,644 worth of modular workstations, office tables and chairs it had delivered to the church group in 2000. The equipment were used by CBCPNet Corp., which once served as the Internet service provider and integrator for the whole Catholic Church, schools and organizations.Records show the CBCP vehemently denied it owed Spinbase the amount, claiming it is not at all connected with CBCPNet. It also insisted that the accusation of Spinbase was unsubstantiated and false claim of delivered goods.But the CA found the CBCP created CBCPNet which later changed to CBCPWorld.It also held what transpired between Spinbase and CBCPNet was a “perfected contract of sale which has a force and effect between the herein contracting parties.”The appellate court cited a certification approved by the Permanent Council of the CBCP authorizing Eman Lim of Twins Inc. to negotiate and purchase the equipment from Spinbase.According to the CA, the authority given by the CBCP to Lim gave rise to the perfection of the Contract of Sale entered into by Twins Inc., acting on behalf of the church group and Spinbase.The CA also branded as misleading the claim by CBCP that there was no prior demand made upon CBCPWorld for the obligation. “The record is clear as a daylight that the required demand was made to the CBCP and CBCPWorld,” the CA said.It added: “What delves heavily against the CBCP and CBCPWorld was their admission that they have received the demand letter. They (CBCP and CBCPWorld) cannot now seek subterfuge to the alleged absence thereof only to elude liability.”The CA also ruled that contrary to the CBCP’s claim, the Contract of Sale “established a definitive agreement or meeting of the minds between the concerned parties as regards the price or term of payment.”