Deped Project With Civic Groups Targets Habit Of 'filipino Time'

Steve
Posted
Posted
SOURCE: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/deped-proje...t-filipino-timeTO TEACH them to appreciate more the value of time, public school children across the country and their teachers will be given workshops on how to be punctual and organized."Through our schools, we can inject in the minds of our students the right outlook about time, which can have a great impact on the value of work and productivity," said Department of Education (DepEd) Secretary Jesli Lapus.The "Project We Are Time-Conscious and Honest" (Project Watch) will be conducted by the Junior Chamber International (JCI) Senate Philippines and the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities (Pacu).It will be run in different schools through a one-hour-a-week workshop.Under the program, the partner-institutions agreed to organize national conferences, as well as a series of seminars and orientations, on time management and planning for elementary and high school students.The JCI Senate Philippines will conduct the workshops, to complement the students' existing subject curriculum.Project Watch will also host national competitions, symposiums, and forums for the students to imbibe the basic values of honesty and punctuality.DepEd and the Pacu will also sponsor oratorical contests, debates and essay-writing contests to promote "Watch" among school administrators, officials, faculty members and students.Information materials on time management will also be distributed to all schools."We can pursue Project Watch earnestly and consistently. This will have a profound effect on our society and our economy," said Lapus. (EPB)

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

In my experience, different schools use different methodologies. When Kristine went to USJR (University of San Jose Recoletos) the classes were on time and things ran fairly professionally.In CDU (Cebu Doctor's College) however, things are much different. The teachers are arrogant and act as if they are doing the kids a favor. They show up when they want to, if at all. I would say the 60-70% of her classes start late or are canceled without notice.I think that someone trying to raise the level of awareness to the issue is a good thing for the Philippines!

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Yup, a very good thing indeed. I'll never forget a story where a government minister turned up to a meeting a day late but expected everyone to stay and wait for him. Arrogance or what?My current thinking is this is mostly down to a "maco man" attitude. I'm better than anyone else so let them eat cake. Thinking about time may perhaps let the kids think of their fellow man and show a bit more respect rather than focusing on self importance.