Another Use For Magic Jack

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have just been made aware of another use for the Magic Jacks by a friend of mine who runs a home alarm company. The MJ is used to replace the home existing phone line and then run into the alarm system or an old computer is dedicated to the MJ, so if a person is on a cable modem then cutting the phone lines will not stop an alarm phone call from going to the owner or a central station, so if a person has a home alarm in the US then they are all is set that way, and if they have a home alarm in the Philippines then a MJ and some purchased long distance time on the MJ, and it can call your Philippine cell to let you know someone has broken into you home or apartment.  I just thought I would pass that along and heck maybe home alarms might even be a good business in the Philippines with these gadgets hooked up to them. :541: 

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

The only thing is, don't most people when going on long vacations, turn everything off in their homes? I do, in the Philippines anyways! Because, our home is so secure, a thief would have a hard time breaking into our home with all the steel bars on our doors and windows!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The only thing is, don't most people when going on long vacations, turn everything off in their homes? I do, in the Philippines anyways! Because, our home is so secure, a thief would have a hard time breaking into our home with all the steel bars on our doors and windows!
Yes and no. I have some of those cameras over the internet so I leave that system on so we can watch out home while away, and I would not mind leaving a computer on if it would save me the cost of a phone line all year long. If a person does not wish to leave their computer on then they could use one of the nettalk.com duo units which cost a little more but which run on the modem or router without the computer on, or on the computer, thus the name duo. I am sure it would also work with any VOIP but most are expensive so this way might save people money and if they run a cable modem then it might even save them from someone cutting their phone lines and the alarm failing to call the alarm company.  It was just a thought I figured that I would pass along.BTW, if anyone in Cebu wants a Magic Jack then I would be happy to buy some and bring them over when we get back in February and I would just charge them what I paid for them which is around $39.99 plus 6% tax if I bought then locally here in Florida. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yes and no. I have some of those cameras over the internet so I leave that system on so we can watch out home while away, and I would not mind leaving a computer on if it would save me the cost of a phone line all year long. If a person does not wish to leave their computer on then they could use one of the nettalk.com duo units which cost a little more but which run on the modem or router without the computer on, or on the computer, thus the name duo. I am sure it would also work with any VOIP but most are expensive so this way might save people money and if they run a cable modem then it might even save them from someone cutting their phone lines and the alarm failing to call the alarm company. It was just a thought I figured that I would pass along.BTW, if anyone in Cebu wants a Magic Jack then I would be happy to buy some and bring them over when we get back in February and I would just charge them what I paid for them which is around $39.99 plus 6% tax if I bought then locally here in Florida.
Does your computer re boot after the power goes down?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yes and no. I have some of those cameras over the internet so I leave that system on so we can watch out home while away, and I would not mind leaving a computer on if it would save me the cost of a phone line all year long. If a person does not wish to leave their computer on then they could use one of the nettalk.com duo units which cost a little more but which run on the modem or router without the computer on, or on the computer, thus the name duo. I am sure it would also work with any VOIP but most are expensive so this way might save people money and if they run a cable modem then it might even save them from someone cutting their phone lines and the alarm failing to call the alarm company.  It was just a thought I figured that I would pass along.BTW, if anyone in Cebu wants a Magic Jack then I would be happy to buy some and bring them over when we get back in February and I would just charge them what I paid for them which is around $39.99 plus 6% tax if I bought then locally here in Florida.
I use a UPS in Cebu and in Florida, so my computer rarely goes down to have to reboot, and in Cebu I use a laptop as well as the UPS so it can last hours with my modem and router also on the UPS but since power goes out for an hour at a time in Cebu then we sometimes shut the computer off during power outages when we are home or going to be away for long periods of time. In the US the power rarely if ever goes down for more than a momentary flicker except it was down for a week after the last hurricane and I did not have any way to use my computer anyway because all phone lines were down during that time as well.   :) Whoops, and to better answer your question, the Magic Jack can be put into the start up programs so that it will work again on reboot.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yes and no. I have some of those cameras over the internet so I leave that system on so we can watch out home while away, and I would not mind leaving a computer on if it would save me the cost of a phone line all year long. If a person does not wish to leave their computer on then they could use one of the nettalk.com duo units which cost a little more but which run on the modem or router without the computer on, or on the computer, thus the name duo. I am sure it would also work with any VOIP but most are expensive so this way might save people money and if they run a cable modem then it might even save them from someone cutting their phone lines and the alarm failing to call the alarm company. It was just a thought I figured that I would pass along.BTW, if anyone in Cebu wants a Magic Jack then I would be happy to buy some and bring them over when we get back in February and I would just charge them what I paid for them which is around $39.99 plus 6% tax if I bought then locally here in Florida.
I use a UPS in Cebu and in Florida, so my computer rarely goes down to have to reboot, and in Cebu I use a laptop as well as the UPS so it can last hours with my modem and router also on the UPS but since power goes out for an hour at a time in Cebu then we sometimes shut the computer off during power outages when we are home or going to be away for long periods of time. In the US the power rarely if ever goes down for more than a momentary flicker except it was down for a week after the last hurricane and I did not have any way to use my computer anyway because all phone lines were down during that time as well. :) Whoops, and to better answer your question, the Magic Jack can be put into the start up programs so that it will work again on reboot.
My point was,does your computer re boot after a brownout if you are not there to re boot it,if you cant reboot it remotely then no point leaving it on while back in the US.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My point was,does your computer re boot after a brownout if you are not there to re boot it,if you cant reboot it remotely then no point leaving it on while back in the US.
My older computer does reboot itself but my newer one does not, thus I keep my older one around to use for that purpose but with a UPS it never had to so far.