Student License

Talisay
Posted
Posted

How does a foreigner deal with the TIN requirement if still taxed in home country?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
How does a foreigner deal with the TIN requirement if still taxed in home country?
I am not sure if I understand this question,the heading Student Licence has thrown me out. Can you elaborate a bit more? Otherwise my belief is that if someone is earning an income that is taxable in a foreign country then it is still declared as income in their home country.We have a similar thread here but maybe someone with experience with this can answer.ADDEDI just realized this is in the Driving forum,now more confused,lol

Talisay
Posted
Posted

I downloaded a PDF student license application and it asks for a TIN

I am not sure if I understand this question,the heading Student Licence has thrown me out. Can you elaborate a bit more? Otherwise my belief is that if someone is earning an income that is taxable in a foreign country then it is still declared as income in their home country.We have a similar thread here but maybe someone with experience with this can answer.ADDEDI just realized this is in the Driving forum,now more confused,lol

stef
Posted
Posted

do you need a student driving license ?if you have a full license from our home country ( must have photocard license and paper counterpart) just take that and fill out a form then you will then be issued a full Philippine license.as for the tin number i do not know of any foreigner who has been asked for one when getting a driving license .if you feel that you would like to get a tin number you can ( it is just like a national issuance number in the UK) if you have no earnings here then no tax to pay

stef
Posted
Posted

if you need a tin number this is the one you will need

PERSONS REGISTERING UNDER E.O. 98 (securing a TIN to be able to transact with any government office, e.g. LTO, NBI, DFA, etc.)

Tax FormBIR Form 1904 - Application for Registration of One Time Taxpayer And Persons Registering Under EO 98 (securing a TIN to be able to transact with any government office)Documentary Requirements-Birth certificate or any valid identification showing name, address and birth date of the applicantProcedures- Accomplish BIR Form 1904 and submit the same, together with the required attachments, to the Revenue District Office having jurisdiction over residence of the applicant.Deadlines- Application shall be accomplished and filed before transacting with any government agencies or instrumentalities.form here http://www.bir.gov.ph/birforms/form_apl.htm#1904

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am not sure if it is still on the website of the LTO as a requirement now, but about a year ago they introduced a rule which said that foreigners needed a TIN number to either convert a foreign license to a local one or obtain a student permit.When I went to the BIR to get one for my client, they said thy would not issue me one and that the LTO and the BIR had reached an agreement to waive the requirement. It may not come as a surprise to you that many LTO officials do not know their own rules, so if you are asked for a TIN before you can convert or obtain a student permit, you can show them the letter below which reads:- TIN requirement waived for driver’s license applicants By JUN RAMIREZ November 25, 2009, 5:05pm The government relaxed Wednesday its requirement that driver’s license applicants should have Tax Identification Numbers (TIN), the imposition of which has been the object of complaints from many motorists and drivers. Acting Commissioner of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) Joel L. Tan Torres and Transportation Undersecretary for Land Transportation Office (LTO) Arturo C. Lomibao signed a memorandum of agreement exempting certain applicants from presenting TIN before they are issued licenses as prescribed under Executive Order 98. The EO directs all government agencies to include the TIN as part of the essential requirements in all applications for government permits, licenses, clearances, official papers or documents. The agreement waived the TIN requirement for certain individuals like foreign personnel of diplomatic missions, international organizations, foreign tourists and missionaries as well as members of religious organizations such as pastors, priests, nuns and lay ministers. Also exempted from the TIN requirement are individuals not engaged in business, housewives, househelps, "balikbayans," students and those applying for non-professional license. Tan-Torres said the MOA "shall foster close coordination between the two government agencies in paving the way for a more uniform implementation of the TIN requirement resulting in a better service to the public." Previously, the LTO came out with a directive imposing the TIN requirement to all driver's license applicants based on the executive order. Lomibao said "the MOA clarified and settled all controversies." Malacanang came out with the new system to capture more unregistered taxpayers for inclusion in the BIR's database. Tan-Torres said the BIR will also conclude with other government agencies similar MOAs to boost its tax collection drive. (With a report by JC Bello Ruiz)I still sometimes have to show it to LTO people who just try to make things generally difficult for the foreigner.Paul

Edited by ancienrocka