Mandatory 100% Balikbayan Box Inspections?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

My sister in law said she saw on the news that all Balikbayan boxes will soon be inspected. Did anyone living in Philippines see this or hear about a possible change in how Philippines Customs inspects Balikbayan boxes?

Edited by Old55

Jake
Posted
Posted
My sister in law said she saw on the news that all Balikbayan boxes will soon be inspected. Did anyone living in Philippines see this or hear about a possible change in how Philippines Customs inspects Balikbayan boxes?
I've been reading the Philippines Daily Inquirer on line on a daily basis. So far, haven't heard anything about ALLBalikbayan boxes being inspected.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't really care about how customs inspects balikbayan boxes, they can have at it because I don't ship anything illegal in them like some people do and as long everything is in tact when it arrives at it's destination, I'm fine with it! Just follow the rules of declaring what one is going pack inside the boxes and there shouldn't be any problems! Same thing goes for when TSA opens people's luggages at the airport once checked in, if nothing illegal is in them, there's nothing to worry about! Anyway, we aren't the ones inconvenienced in the process because it's all done behind the scenes that we don't see except for the sloppynest or disarray they left our stuff in after the fact! We all now live in a paranoid world even before and after 9/11! Such a shame how our society has turned for the worst due to deranged rebels with a cause and or anti-establishment people or religious fanatics in all walks of life!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 2 weeks later...
FlyAway
Posted
Posted

3 boxes arrived in Manila unopened a few days ago. Received word the the two boxes sent to Mindanao also were unopened. So much for the 100% inspection scare.:89:

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who just a few days ago received 3 boxes which had been opened and carelessly repacked resulting in lots of damage to his items. A few things were missing. It seems that US Customs is doing random searches of boxes leaving the US. I have 3 on the way and worried that mine will also be tampered with. I don't care that they are inspected, but I don't want my things to be broken or destoyed because the inspectors are careless to repack them properly.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have a friend who just a few days ago received 3 boxes which had been opened and carelessly repacked resulting in lots of damage to his items. A few things were missing. It seems that US Customs is doing random searches of boxes leaving the US. I have 3 on the way and worried that mine will also be tampered with. I don't care that they are inspected, but I don't want my things to be broken or destoyed because the inspectors are careless to repack them properly.
I have been told by a reliable source  :Policeman:  that the boxes are xrayed first and checked by dogs and then if anything suspicious is found in them or the dogs alert on them, then they are opened. Printer cartridges are now a hot topic since the US had gotten intelligence many months ago that they would be used as bombs and sure enough some have been found recently as bombs, so if you ship a printer with a cartridge or a cartridge alone in your box, then you can expect the boxes to be opened. I am sure there are other things that will trigger the boxes being opening such as if the boxes contain gun powder residue or have been around gun powder such as in ammo reloading equipment etc. There is no reason for a box full of clothing to be opened or one with dishes or other non electrical items in it. My wife and I have shipped many boxes over time and none have ever been opened to date because we are careful what we put in them and that we declare what is in them properly. Now that said, we will be shipping some more early next year and I hope they do not end up repacked poorly if they do open them.  :(

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

the reason you pay what you pay to send the Balikbayan box is the fee that is paid to the inspectors by the shippers hahah, how would you like to open 6,000 boxes and repack, if their is any inspection it is probley random by the USA, i was in Larado Texas one time at the border there were 100 trucks lined up for inspection, none were opened, only dogs running along them.we were informed after the bomb scare with the ink cartridges, that most of the packages on Air freight are not inspected. There is no way they can be inspected 100% and containers living the USA are not the first priority.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Since the date I made the first post we have had two Balikbayan arrive in Philippines unopened. Today I armored a 48 inch LED-LCD TV in plywood for shipment to Cebu. Our Balikbayan guy who we know well and trust charged us an additional $200.00 customs fee for the TV. With how it was boxed there was no way for anyone to know the contents however the box size would suggest a flat screen.