Helpfullness

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Some people get upset with the helpfullness of the workers that they come into contact with here. They don't like store clerks following them around, wanting to carry anything they want to buy, to the counter.I look at it differently. I haven't purchased much in my stays in the RP, because I have always had someone with me that did so, but I have had a bit of experience with the security at the malls in CDO, Davao, Cebu, Manila, Bacolod. The way that I handle that is this. I always go thru the female side, get patted down or searched, get permission to enter, go back outside, come in the female side, get patted down or searched, get permission to enter, go outside, rinse and repeat until everyone is laughing.When your in a strange place you can try to make it like the places that you know and are comfortable with, and get pissed when it isn't and doesn't change to fit your expectations, OR, you can embrace the differences and make them your own. This will lower your blood pressure and make more smiles. We can all use more smiles.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Some people get upset with the helpfullness of the workers that they come into contact with here. They don't like store clerks following them around, wanting to carry anything they want to buy, to the counter.
It is nice to at least get some help! It really gets irritating here in the US trying to find some help to ask a simple question. Go to any mall in The Philippines and you do not have to worry about not finding someone to help you find something every 5 to 10 feet or so. Now if only the service in the restaurant's were more like the mall's......
I look at it differently. I haven't purchased much in my stays in the RP, because I have always had someone with me that did so, but I have had a bit of experience with the security at the malls in CDO, Davao, Cebu, Manila, Bacolod. The way that I handle that is this. I always go thru the female side, get patted down or searched, get permission to enter, go back outside, come in the female side, get patted down or searched, get permission to enter, go outside, rinse and repeat until everyone is laughing.
Glad to know I am not the only one that does that every now and then. :)
When your in a strange place you can try to make it like the places that you know and are comfortable with, and get pissed when it isn't and doesn't change to fit your expectations, OR, you can embrace the differences and make them your own. This will lower your blood pressure and make more smiles. We can all use more smiles.
23_11_60[2].gif I just roll with it.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Some people get upset with the helpfullness of the workers that they come into contact with here. They don't like store clerks following them around, wanting to carry anything they want to buy, to the counter.I look at it differently. I haven't purchased much in my stays in the RP, because I have always had someone with me that did so, but I have had a bit of experience with the security at the malls in CDO, Davao, Cebu, Manila, Bacolod. The way that I handle that is this. I always go thru the female side, get patted down or searched, get permission to enter, go back outside, come in the female side, get patted down or searched, get permission to enter, go outside, rinse and repeat until everyone is laughing.When your in a strange place you can try to make it like the places that you know and are comfortable with, and get pissed when it isn't and doesn't change to fit your expectations, OR, you can embrace the differences and make them your own. This will lower your blood pressure and make more smiles. We can all use more smiles.
Unfortunately some people have nothing better to do then complain and belittle others. Then wonder why some of the locals dislike foreigners.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately some people have nothing better to do then complain and belittle others. Then wonder why some of the locals dislike foreigners.
The whole point of the matter is that foreigner's must adapt to the country they are in,not expect the locals to change to suit their ways.It would be amusing to know how the locals see our ways of doing things, I'm sure they think we are the ones on the strange side.Adapted or move out is my opinion.508.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
"rinse and repeat until everyone is laughing" Excellent idea! My question is why do you need to rinse.....he, he. At any rate, you have a kind soul with a heart of gold.Respectfully -- Jake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

"store clerks following them around, wanting to carry anything they want to buy, to the counter."It would be great if that was all they did. Unfortunately, they are more like my kids when they were small. They point to, or pick up, every item I look at and say "how about this one?" and go into a sales pitch which distracts my train of thought. I'm old and cannot carry on a conversation with myself and the sales clerk at the same time.I don't get upset about it, just frustrated because I end up buying the one thing I came for and leaving. The clerk thinks he did a fine job and the store manager has no idea that I would have bought a whole cart full of stuff if I was left alone with my thoughts to browse the merchandise.

Jake
Posted
Posted
"store clerks following them around, wanting to carry anything they want to buy, to the counter." It would be great if that was all they did. Unfortunately, they are more like my kids when they were small. They point to, or pick up, every item I look at and say "how about this one?" and go into a sales pitch which distracts my train of thought. I'm old and cannot carry on a conversation with myself and the sales clerk at the same time. I don't get upset about it, just frustrated because I end up buying the one thing I came for and leaving. The clerk thinks he did a fine job and the store manager has no idea that I would have bought a whole cart full of stuff if I was left alone with my thoughts to browse the merchandise.
"They point to, or pick up, every item I look at and say "how about this one?"Hey Dave, It would be nice if they had a Victoria Secret lingerie store with that kind of personal service. Since I'm a self proclaimed DOM (certified), I would be the one asking them, "how about this one?" By the way guys, since Christmas is just around the corner, my favorite color is purple. I believe Lee looks pretty good in a pink thong, extra small. And Boss Man mentioned his favorite was Tasmanian black with a built-in kangaroo pouch to keep his hands warm.....he, he.Just trying to be helpful -- Jake

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well you make a game of it. Walk into a store you have never been in before. Just start picking out all the heaviest bulky stuff, or things only on the top shelves. When you have picked out enough stuff to load a small moving truck. Walk up to the counter to pay, reach for you wallet, look shocked and surprised. Yell, "OMG someone took my wallet!!!" Then apologize and tell them you will have to come back tomorrow or sometime next week. I promise you will get no help next time you enter that store. They will ignore you like American perfume counter girls at the mall. or,Just enjoy that they want to help you, and get over yourself. You rude Kano foreigners.