I Like It Dirty

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Anyone else get pretty dirty out here? Especially since living in the country side, we're always stepping through mud puddles or something, and if it's not my sandals flicking it up on the back of my shirt, it's my daughter trotting through it, and then wanting to be picked up. I actually feel better dirty, because I kind of fit in. Everyone out here is dressed in work rags, or no shirt at all. Dressing up seems to dress you out into the open. I'm starting to embrace the spider webs, the mud, and the insects. It's all part of the experience. I also love the green.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

mud? Is that what they are calling excrement mixed with soil, rain and urine these days? I sure try to keep that 'mud' off me but its impossible to do anything in the rainy season without getting a little on ya.I just shower and change clothes more frequently.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Anyone else get pretty dirty out here? Especially since living in the country side, we're always stepping through mud puddles or something, and if it's not my sandals flicking it up on the back of my shirt, it's my daughter trotting through it, and then wanting to be picked up. I actually feel better dirty, because I kind of fit in. Everyone out here is dressed in work rags, or no shirt at all. Dressing up seems to dress you out into the open. I'm starting to embrace the spider webs, the mud, and the insects. It's all part of the experience. I also love the green.
It comes with the territory and you have adapted quite well. I agree with Dave, change and shower (tabu-tabu) more frequently. Although, I would usually wear shorts and hiking sandals like this one: http://www.amazon.co...90961211&sr=1-5, I would just run fresh water over my legs and feet (soap if necessary) and continue my outdoor activities, which is mostly in the water anyway. I also carry a field kit in a fanny pack draped over my shoulder that includes a small bottle of alcohol and wash cloth. Yeah, you have to disinfect those fingernails when not using toilet paper....he, he. It's an acquired skill to improvise, adapt and overcome. During flood conditions (stinky brown river outside your front door), I really pay attention to any scratches, cuts and insect bites, especially below my knees. If you have children, definitely most important to inspect daily and strict sanitary discipline, like washing their hands more often. Hopefully by now, they're selling this water proof band-aid in PI: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B000GCICR0Down and dirty -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Don't be too naive about the country side and or jungles of the Philippines! You never know what's been in or under that mud or dirt, let alone the wild animals, snakes and insects around you! It just may kill you slowly but surely over time, if you don't take the appropriate precautions as Jake mentioned! No "Rambo" or "Peace Corp" type of living for me thank you! I prefer the modern suburban type of lifestyle with all the creature comforts!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Yeah, we finally got sleeping under a mosquito net last night. That should help a little bit. We also have to find some bug spray and cream. My 3 year old is scratching up a storm on her leg. I'm wondering where the people out here are going to the bathroom? We're having a CR built on the back of our nippa hut, but I don't see where our neighbors have theirs.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yeah, we finally got sleeping under a mosquito net last night. That should help a little bit. We also have to find some bug spray and cream. My 3 year old is scratching up a storm on her leg. I'm wondering where the people out here are going to the bathroom? We're having a CR built on the back of our nippa hut, but I don't see where our neighbors have theirs.
Your neighbor's CR is probably out back in the woods with a hole dug in the ground! Septic tanks in the Philippines is the norm since there are hardly no water or sewage treatment plants in the provinces. The only thing bad about septic tanks is their run offs, meaning where's the overflow to go, but out into the rivers and oceans or underground contaminating fresh spring underground water! It's a sad environmental catastrophe and it has been going on for years with no improvements in sight! People in the Philippines are dying in their own filth! There's 36 million people in the Philippines already living in poverty! I hope your knowledge of first aid and jungle survival skills are up to par for any contingencies you and your family may encounter in the province! It's almost like a jungle out there, so be prepared! Edited by Fil/AmArt

No name
Posted
Posted

Ekimswish,I'm not going to join into the chorus of nay sayers. Sounds awesome. I wish my health would allow me to live that way but I'd be dead in a few days.So were the reports of cobra's greatly over stated? :crack-up:I would be concerned about Dengue, especially for the little one. Dengue cases have begun to fall, hopefully that will continue as they have been at an all time high this year.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
When staying in a family members home in the provinces, either our niece will do this before we get there or my wife and I spray the whole room with Baygon bug spray and then leave for the day and when we come back to sleep at night then there are few if any mosquitoes, and it seems to last the 7 to 14 days we stay there. I did make the mistake of not doing that at the beginning and got eaten alive by mosquitoes and one time by ants when I forgot to wash my hands before going to sleep and must have still had the remnant of food or tooth paste overflow on them somehow, I wont do that again but I was tired that night and the water was not running outside (they do not have running water in the house, but outside for the whole neighborhood and it ran out) and I was using bottled water to brush my teeth and I must have just conked out due to the extreme heat that day with no aircon out there. Baygon works great from past experiences.