Have You Ever Wondered Who Invented The

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

A bit of nostalgia. I found this very interesting and I am sure many of you may also. Isn't it amazing how far cell phones have come? I used to have one of those brick phones many years ago and then got the slim line Motorola phone and I have had more phones than I care to try to count over the years, but those good old brick phones were the best but hard to carry, and then there were the good old bag phones before the hand held cell phone, I had one of those too. Any of you remember those? and how about the good old rotary home phones, we had Touch Tone Phones in the US for many years before I arrived in the PHL only to find our old rotary phones system still there. Does any of this bring back memories to some of you? Ahhhhh the good old days!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOzjFDbIKc

post-40-012311900 1291474376_thumb.jpg

post-40-032420700 1291474388_thumb.jpg

post-40-052444800 1291474600_thumb.jpg

post-40-070622900 1291474623_thumb.jpg

post-40-009448500 1291474727_thumb.jpg

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Amazing how far and fast telecommunications have come in the past 20 years. Two things I would like to see in my lifetime: Globilization of all phone and data services so your device will work anywhere in the world w/o all the sim switching gyrations.The end of cables. No more power/usb/hdmi cables, headphone jacks, etc. Everything (at the user level) wireless with no performance degradation.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Amazing how far and fast telecommunications have come in the past 20 years. Two things I would like to see in my lifetime: Globilization of all phone and data services so your device will work anywhere in the world w/o all the sim switching gyrations.The end of cables. No more power/usb/hdmi cables, headphone jacks, etc. Everything (at the user level) wireless with no performance degradation.
Your phones can work anywhere in the world if you have a wifi phone and have skype installed to make phone calls. My friend has an iphone and when we travel together to other countries, all he does is finds an open wifi and makes calls. I have a phone with UMA  available connection in it and TMobile service, and I can do the same thing but I have to find an open wifi that is using WEP security and then I can log on and get my calls or make calls, so in the future and with more cities going open wifi, I suspect your wishes will come true in the not too distant future. 

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
...and then there were the good old bag phones before the hand held cell phone, I had one of those too...
LOL -- me too, Lee.I had one of the bag phones... and when traveling around Texas on the interstate, when I was near a large town so I could get reception... I would pull over on the side of the road and make phone calls.... I felt like I was James Bond... or the President. I know the people passing by and seeing me talking on the phone were notably impressed.... because they would wave out their windows, giving me the "you're # 1" sign with their middle finger.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I had one of the bag phones... and when traveling around Texas on the interstate, when I was near a large town so I could get reception... I would pull over on the side of the road and make phone calls.... I felt like I was James Bond... or the President.
In the small town I lived in in the 70s there was only one fellow who had a car phone, attached to his horn, so whenever he had a phone call the horn would go off incessantly until he answered.It seemed to make him feel important getting lots of calls and waiting until he finished his coffee before going out to the car to answer the phone. Of course, while he finished his coffee he would delight in telling everyone in the coffee shop why his horn was going off and that he hated that dratted car phone.It made him a memorable character though. By the way, he was neither rich, influential, famous or in need of that phone. He was just a legend in his own mind.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

When we first arrived in the Philippines in 1998, almost everyone had a cellphone except me and when I did buy my first cellphone, it was only a cheap Dual Band Nokia 3210 model with no fancy features like today's cellpnones which was P4,800 back in those days! But now, I own a cheap China Brand Dual Sim Nokia A300 model for only P2,800 with Bluetooth, camera, MP3 and FM radio and the wife has a 32 Gig 3GS iPhone! I've recently upgraded to a Nokia 2710 for only P5,400, still cheap, but this time it's a 3G phone with all the goodies like my Nokia A300 and my new Nokia 2710 even worked in the U.S. during our vacation last month in California where as my A300 didn't! The wife wants the new iPhone 4 and she will give me her old 3GS iPhone! That's fine with me, because her 2 yr old 3GS iPhone is still in like new condition!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Travis
Posted
Posted

boy oh boy that 1 dates me & makes me feel very old :lol:

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
I had one of the bag phones... and when traveling around Texas on the interstate, when I was near a large town so I could get reception... I would pull over on the side of the road and make phone calls.... I felt like I was James Bond... or the President.
***.... By the way, he was neither rich, influential, famous or in need of that phone. He was just a legend in his own mind.
LOL - unfortunately, "I resemble that remark" ... although I did need the phone... the rest would apply. Once I had that phone in my hand, I was like Snoopy lying on his doghouse, imagining that he was the Red Baron. 1%20(40).gifNow that I have "grown up"... I have gone to the opposite extreme -- no blue-tooth devices in my ear, no rings, no watches, no flashy clothes... nothing to draw attention. Just pass on by without noticing me and I'm happy. photo-109.gif ---->>>th_thbarbaque.gif ----->>> 36_1_68[1].gif ---->>>558.gif----->>> 17403.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I had one of the bag phones... and when traveling around Texas on the interstate, when I was near a large town so I could get reception... I would pull over on the side of the road and make phone calls.... I felt like I was James Bond... or the President. .... By the way, he was neither rich, influential, famous or in need of that phone. He was just a legend in his own mind.Now that I have "grown up"... I have gone to the opposite extreme -- no blue-tooth devices in my ear, no rings, no watches, no flashy clothes... nothing to draw attention. Just pass on by without noticing me and I'm happy. Tom in Texas
But Tom 007 wanna be, you do still have your iPhone in your pocket don't you?unsure.gif

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
I had one of the bag phones... and when traveling around Texas on the interstate, when I was near a large town so I could get reception... I would pull over on the side of the road and make phone calls.... I felt like I was James Bond... or the President. .... By the way, he was neither rich, influential, famous or in need of that phone. He was just a legend in his own mind.Now that I have "grown up"... I have gone to the opposite extreme -- no blue-tooth devices in my ear, no rings, no watches, no flashy clothes... nothing to draw attention. Just pass on by without noticing me and I'm happy. Tom in Texas
But Tom 007 wanna be, you do still have your iPhone in your pocket don't you?unsure.gif
Yes... sort of... It is built into the heel of my shoe... and I duck into a phone booth and out of sight when talking on my shoe. (its in the left one --->>> 1247.gif)