A Christmas Story

softail
Posted
Posted

Yesterday my wife and I went to a Christmas play with another couple, "Its a Wonderful Life". Thru most of the play I was sitting there thinking, "this sounds a lot like me". George Bailey had all these great plans for his life, he wanted to travel, see the world, build big buildings etc. Just as he is about to realize his dreams something always came along, he was always helping out everyone else and not selfish enough to make himself and his ambitions a priority.Here I am, retired, money isn’t a problem, a beautiful Filippina wife who also wants to retire in the PI and we are stuck. I knew if I didn’t move right away after retirement that my parents would start with the guilt about me moving so far away and them being so old and all. Well just as I retired my sister got sick and I had to tend to her, took about a year, after she died, the guilt trip has been unrelenting and here I am stuck. I feel like George Bailey, having to tend to everyone else and my needs are never met.Anyway, the play really struck a cord in me, always seems that someone else’s needs seem to be a priority and my end up on the back burner and I’m not getting any younger. So much for my rant, thanks for the earDoug and Sally

Travis
Posted
Posted
Yesterday my wife and I went to a Christmas play with another couple, "Its a Wonderful Life". Thru most of the play I was sitting there thinking, "this sounds a lot like me". George Bailey had all these great plans for his life, he wanted to travel, see the world, build big buildings etc. Just as he is about to realize his dreams something always came along, he was always helping out everyone else and not selfish enough to make himself and his ambitions a priority.Here I am, retired, money isn’t a problem, a beautiful Filippina wife who also wants to retire in the PI and we are stuck. I knew if I didn’t move right away after retirement that my parents would start with the guilt about me moving so far away and them being so old and all. Well just as I retired my sister got sick and I had to tend to her, took about a year, after she died, the guilt trip has been unrelenting and here I am stuck. I feel like George Bailey, having to tend to everyone else and my needs are never met.Anyway, the play really struck a cord in me, always seems that someone else’s needs seem to be a priority and my end up on the back burner and I’m not getting any younger. So much for my rant, thanks for the earDoug and Sally
wow sorry to hear that & my condolences on your sister. maybe you have to go with & just do it. life is not always fair & there has to be a way for you to go but if not then all good things come to those who wait & who knows what the big guy has planned for us all & why things happen coz maybe they are just meant to be :Policeman:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I will second that and extend my condolences to you for your sister. I cannot tell you what to do in life but one thing I can say is to not let just guilt guide your life. There are many people out there who never got the chance to do what they wanted to do after working all those years and many of my friends did not live to enjoy the fruits of their labor as I watched so many of them pass away way too early, so that is why I retired early and decided to enjoy whatever time I may have left on this planet while also trying to keep my wife happy, while enjoying our retirement life together.  I hope things work out for you Doug and Sally. :Policeman: