Sad, But True!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just found out today that one of our members from Dumagette, Don aka "Salty Dog" is in the hospital ICU, diagnosed with Guilliam Barre Syndrome which the body's immune system attacks the nerves! He can't walk and his speech is impaired! His treatment is 5 vials a day for a total of 25 vials, costing P44,376 per vial! Ouch! I hope for his sake, that was a type O that was texted to me! That's P44,376 X 5 X 25 days? That's outrageous! Doesn't sound right! Hope that's not the case! His ex-wife and sister from Florida plans to come to the Philippines and maybe bring him back to the U.S. if he is able to travel. Lets hope and pray Don a speedy recovery! I put this topic under "Cost of Living" because it fits here and it could happen to anyone of us!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I just found out today that one of our members from Dumagette, Don aka "Salty Dog" is in the hospital ICU,  diagnosed with Guilliam Barre Syndrome which the body's immune system attacks the nerves! He can't walk and his speech is impaired! His treatment is 5 vials a day for a total of 25 vials, costing P44,376 per vial! Ouch! I hope for his sake, that was a type O that was texted to me! That's P44,376 X 5 X 25 days? That's outrageous! Doesn't sound right! Hope that's not the case!  His ex-wife and sister from Florida plans to come to the Philippines and maybe bring him back to the U.S. if he is able to travel. Lets hope and pray Don a speedy recovery! I put this topic under "Cost of Living" because it fits here and it could happen to anyone of us!  
Please send Don our best wishes (via his family) for a speedy recovery but auto immune diseases rarely are curable. The meds they use are immune system blockers and they can be very expensive, and then they also often use mega doses of steroids to try to put the disease into remission or at least make it controllable. Steroids are a miracle drug. I hope they get him back to the US alive if he has insurance or Medicare or has a rich family because I am pretty sure the treatments would be more advanced there but also cost a lot more. The disease eventually shuts down everything, so the prognoses is not good in the long term for someone with it or any auto immune disease. All we can all do is pray for him and hope for the best. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Please send Don our best wishes (via his family) for a speedy recovery. . .Amen to that . . . the prognoses is not good in the long term for someone with it or any auto immune disease. All we can all do is pray for him and hope for the best.
Fortunately, the Mayo Clinic website is a bit more optimistic: In its most severe form, Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency requiring hospitalization. There's no known cure for Guillain-Barre syndrome, but several treatments can ease symptoms and reduce the duration of the illness. And most people do recover completely.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Please send Don our best wishes (via his family) for a speedy recovery. . .Amen to that . . . the prognoses is not good in the long term for someone with it or any auto immune disease. All we can all do is pray for him and hope for the best.
Fortunately, the Mayo Clinic website is a bit more optimistic:  In its most severe form, Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency requiring hospitalization. There's no known cure for Guillain-Barre syndrome, but several treatments can ease symptoms and reduce the duration of the illness. And most people do recover completely.
Boy Dave that is good to read about. I know or have known a number of people dealing with autoimmune issues including that one and unfortunately if the illness did not get them the treatment often had. I pray for Don and hope they can get him the proper treatment to help him so that he does recover completely. Unfortunately my negativity toward autoimmune diseases and that one comes from personal experiences.

Travis
Posted
Posted
I just found out today that one of our members from Dumagette, Don aka "Salty Dog" is in the hospital ICU, diagnosed with Guilliam Barre Syndrome which the body's immune system attacks the nerves! He can't walk and his speech is impaired! His treatment is 5 vials a day for a total of 25 vials, costing P44,376 per vial! Ouch! I hope for his sake, that was a type O that was texted to me! That's P44,376 X 5 X 25 days? That's outrageous! Doesn't sound right! Hope that's not the case! His ex-wife and sister from Florida plans to come to the Philippines and maybe bring him back to the U.S. if he is able to travel. Lets hope and pray Don a speedy recovery! I put this topic under "Cost of Living" because it fits here and it could happen to anyone of us!
Art I hope your friend gets well soon. wow that is expensive :SugarwareZ-037:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just got a call from Don's fiancée, Bing. Don's condition has improved enough that he was moved out of ICU after 4 days and into a regular room! His th_hu.gif ex-wife and sister arrived yesterday and took care of what bills and paperwork he needed. He still is unable to walk, but he can move his arms and able to talk! He's not out of the woods yet, but at least he's in good hands! Luckily he has a credit card to pay for all his bills and has TRICARE to reimburse 70% of his costs minus his deductible and co-share of all his medical bills including his medications! Just have to wait and see how his follow up treatments will go! Fortunately TRICARE has a $3,000 cap limit on catastrophic illnesses within a year, where TRICARE will cover the cost anything over the $3,000 limit! So, Don is only obligated to pay for his cost share up to $3,000 within a one year period from the time of his illness, recovery or any follow up treatments as required!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 2 months later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Just got a text msg from my friend Don aka Salty Dog formerly from Sta. Rosa, Laguna where I'm from, he's finally at home in Dumagette recovering from his battle with Guilliam Barre Syndrome. He's now able to walk again, his vision in his left is returning to normal, but he can't yet raise both his arms! All and all, he's nicely recovering slowly, but surely! His stay in the hospital cost him roughly P1.3 million, but luckily TRICARE will reimburse 70% of the total cost or his cap limit is at $3,000 for the year, where anything over that TRICARE pays all thereafter within a year! AddEmoticons04230.gif

• 7 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

ART what is the latest update on Dan? has he fully recovered? returned back to the USA? How much was his expenses? did "TRICARE" pay what was due? Again thanks for the story