Oppinions On How Much Coverage Do We Need

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Our plans are to live 6 months in the Philippines and 6 months in Canada for about 4 years so that my wife can get her Canadianship. Then we will decide which place to retire to or keep things the same. I was wondering, My Canadian health care will cover up to $5000 can. ( 215,000 pesos ) per year outside of the country. Do you think that is enough coverage. My thinking is if I had a serious enough ailment that I would just fly back to Canada and have it looked after there where it is free. I would also have my credit cards but would like to avoid using then for obvious reasons.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Our plans are to live 6 months in the Philippines and 6 months in Canada for about 4 years so that my wife can get her Canadianship. Then we will decide which place to retire to or keep things the same.  I was wondering, My Canadian health care will cover up to $5000 can. ( 215,000 pesos ) per year outside of the country. Do you think that is enough coverage. My thinking is if I had a serious enough ailment that I would just fly back to Canada and have it looked after there where it is free. I would also have my credit cards but would like to avoid using then for obvious reasons.
You wife should also be able to get Phil Health for her and you and that might help as well.  No one can know how much it might cost us if something were to go wrong, but to me that is a lot of money unless you have a major problem such as God forbid being hit by a car or need major surgery. One of our friends goes to Manila and stays in a hospital there for a week and has every type of woman test possible and it only cost her $500 for the whole thing but she is Filipino and we are not, so they would probably charge us much more for similar tests for a man. Health insurance and health issues are, or can be a major problem for any of us. My US Blue Cross will cover me in one hospital in Manila and reimburse me if I use another for an emergency, so possibly look into something like that. 

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Actually my question would be, what kind of a medical health insurance coverage can I get in the Philippines between the ages of 60 to 75 and or above and what are the annual premiums? Barring in mind too, here in the Philippines most Health Ins Companies have what they call a pre-existing medical health history clause, which one have to wait a period of 1 yr before it can be covered, but with no guarantees that it will! And also they have what's called (OTI) other insurance coverage one may have in their home country still in effect, which means your home country's health ins is first to reimburse you of any medical bills acquired in the Philippines before your PHL health ins will pay the remainder if any! I wouldn't buy a Philippine health ins here, because I'm already stuck with TRICARE, but at least it's better than no insurance at all and there's no monthly premiums involved until I turn 65 when my Medicare Part B kicks in which is around $108 a month, but useless here in the PHL, for now that is, they're working on it in Manila I heard through the grapevine!BTW, if we didn't have any medical health insurance, I would pick Blue Cross here in the Philippines, I've checked into it and it's reputable and expensive depending on what plan one chooses and depending on one's age. But, we have our TRICARE (MHS) Military Health System which covers us here in the Philippines by way of 70% reimbursement claims after the fact of any accrued medical bills anywhere in the world, well almost anywhere except for maybe Timbuktu, wherever that is!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Jake
Posted
Posted

As usual, Art comes through with some valuable information about medical health insurance while in the Philippines.First and foremost is having the emergency funds to begin with. I have also heard about the positive comments aboutBlue Cross. Thank you ART -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
As usual, Art comes through with some valuable information about medical health insurance while in the Philippines.First and foremost is having the emergency funds to begin with. I have also heard about the positive comments aboutBlue Cross. Thank you ART -- Jake
I believe Gold Heart did get approved with Blue Cross when he was still here in the Philippines and he had to jump through hoops in qualifying with Blue Cross's strict requirements! Here's most of his old posts about his dealings with Blue Cross: http://www.philippin...427 Edited by Fil/AmArt

United Army
Posted
Posted

I'm sort of planning between 300,000 and 500,000 set aside for medical.