Why Do You Think It Is This Way?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am curious, and even after almost two decades of going back and forth and studying the culture, I have to admit that I still do not fully understand why it is the way it is. If I was made to look like a fool or a crook, then I would be embarrassed and very upset, yet it seems that many higher ups in the PHL risk having what they do, or did brought to light rather than trying to live a clean and honest life.   I know we all have read news stories after news stories where government officials are shown in a bad light for things they did and it seems that the Filipino society accepts them even after they do these things, so maybe that filters down to the average person as well and molds their actions? One such example might be Emelda Marcos and there are numerous others who have been in high power positions such as General Garcia who has now admitted to being corrupt, so what will it take to change the culture of acceptance, or is the PHL and its people destined to remain looked down on, and maybe even laughed at by the majority of other countries?    :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When you worry about the price of rice every day, it is hard to worry about what the guys who have money are doing. I would venture to say the average guy doesn't even care so long as the people in power keep the price of rice affordable.Does poverty breed ignorance or ignorance breed poverty?

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I think it all stems to education or a lack of quality education. If the Philippines was full of people like the ones that have left to work abroad then things would be different. Most Filipinos live the simple live and their education is not the greatest. To change you need smart people who care. Most of the higher up government people are only interested in how much money they can make and not about what happens to the country. The west has a lot of educated people who would not put up with all the corruption hence that is why corruption in the west is mostly hidden. I think the maturity level of a lot of the Filipinos is lower than average and that could be a factor too.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, look at the Marcos's 20 yr regime where he was ousted by people power, just wished they have done it sooner! And ex-president Joseph Estrada, GMA shouldn't have given him a presidential pardon! And Imelda Marcos, the government still should go after their hidden wealth and return it to the people! Look at the recent development of the Freddie Webb case after 15 yrs in jail and now finally out due to lack of creditable witnesses! What a bunch of freak'n fiascos that has gone on in this country and list just goes on! It is this way because ignorant uneducated Filipino people can get bribed and or brain washed pretty easily over the years and this is the proof that I've just listed above which is just but a few! Sad isn't it?SugarwareZ-034.gifSugarwareZ-037.gif

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,Unfortunately, one of the cultures we need to learn and accept is called Philippines Culture of Impunity. The following Viewpoint articledated December of 2009 from the Philippines Daily Inquirer is a tragic and ongoing practice that will not go away within our lifetime. It even bleeds down to the street level, where a typical rice vendor for example, will mix premium grade rice with lower grade just to get an even kilo. The vendor justifies this by thinking if the rich and powerful can get away with murder (repeatedly), then WTF -- I could cheat my fellow Pinoys of only a few pesos per day.http://globalnation....ure-of-impunityAnother aspect of the Filipino mindset is called "bahala na". For example, when your struggling with 8 kids at a fixed income of lessthan a 1000 pesos per month, the common acceptance to that situation is "whatever will be, well be" or "leave it up to a god, he willprovide for us". I could probably cite more examples but I hate to ruin my breakfast this morning. Respectfully -- Jake