No Truth In Advertising

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It sometimes drives me crazy that there seems to be an absolute minimum of truth in any advertising that you see in the Philippines. It is a pet peeve of mine and I wonder if others have instances they want to add. Here are a few that irk me.Today in Cebu Classifieds. (I won't provide a link as I don't want to give the vendor any additional encouragement but here is the gist of it.)Residential 2-storey furnished townhouse for sale by owner and a little later you see who to contact. Stephany XXXXXXXXProperty ConsultantReal Estate License No.2009-S-78-1428(N)Another example is "Celebrity Carwash" who have never had a celebrity get their car washed and never had a celebrity working their or owning the business.Another example has been mentioned on this forum before. That is buying Internet service Up To 2 megabytes and then getting a service of 1/4 of that.Dontcha just HATE that?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
It sometimes drives me crazy that there seems to be an absolute minimum of truth in any advertising that you see in the Philippines. It is a pet peeve of mine and I wonder if others have instances they want to add. Here are a few that irk me.Today in Cebu Classifieds. (I won't provide a link as I don't want to give the vendor any additional encouragement but here is the gist of it.)Residential 2-storey furnished townhouse for sale by owner and a little later you see who to contact. Stephany XXXXXXXXProperty ConsultantReal Estate License No.2009-S-78-1428(N)Another example is "Celebrity Carwash" who have never had a celebrity get their car washed and never had a celebrity working their or owning the business.Another example has been mentioned on this forum before. That is buying Internet service Up To 2 megabytes and then getting a service of 1/4 of that.Dontcha just HATE that?
I’m SHOCKED! Are you telling me that “Brest Enlargement” cream the Chinese model applies on herself in the TV ad is untrue?:lol: I’ve studied this very closely.:th_signs027:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I read an advertisement here in the Forum Get Together thread that Mr Lee was buying all the beer,no truth in advertising as you say. no.gifcheers.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I read an advertisement here in the Forum Get Together thread that Mr Lee was buying all the beer,no truth in advertising as you say. no.gifcheers.gif
Oh its true alright…….. when its all over Lee will be the last one standing and someone’s gotta pay the bill.:lol: :th_signs027:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yes Dave it drives me crazy with all the false ads, so again this is just another example of the culture where telling the truth may be just a suggestion with some. I especially get upset when I go into a restaurant and the meal comes out looking nothing like the photo in the menu and even more so when it is a US company such as Fridays or McDonalds. There are way too many instances where you are totally correct, and I often wondered why they can't look at photos and understand that it is an example of what it is supposed to look like. :lol: One time my wife and I went into Fridays and I pointed to the ice creme sunday in the menu and then it came out with almost no chocolate syrup in it, when the photo showed it full of syrup, so I sent it back and showed them the photo and told them to make it look like the photo and add more syrup, waste of time because instead of adding more syrup they made a whole new sunday with just a little more syrup but still not even one tenth of the syrup in the photo. :th_signs027: As most of us say, welcome to the Philippines where many things make no sense to a non Filipino, yet I have often wondered if they make sense to even the locals? :89:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I found another one just today. Years ago I had a DVD player that would play the DivX format which is popular for downloaded tv shows and movies. I found one in Super Metro that had a sticker on it which said it played all kinds of formats including DivXOf course, when I got it home it does not play DivX . . but it does play a lot of other crap I have no need for.