Freedom Of The Press Could Be At Stake In Us

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This could get out of hand very easily and lead to less freedom of the press in all countries if the US goes in that direction. Am I wrong?

Experts in espionage and freedom of information law say any U.S. crackdown on Assange and similar leak wholesalers or brokers would likely make it easier for the government to mount prosecutions against anyone who receives leaks of unauthorized information — most notably journalists."The consequences of (Assange's) behavior for the American press could be stark and painful," said Floyd Abrams, an expert on press freedom.
'The consequences of (Assange's) behavior for the American press could be stark and painful'
The complete story HERE

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In the event a US court issues a publication ban on a trial, (to protect a victim for example), then the media is not permitted to publish even thought info is 'leaked'. It has been this way for some time now.In a similar way, I believe all governments should reserve the right to issue a publication ban on what they classify as official secrets, provided the current checks and balances are adequate. The precedent has already been set. The alternative means intergovernmental diplomacy, (ie being polite instead of calling other government leaders assholes) will take a huge hit.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The way I see it is AddEmoticons04230.gifAbout time the bastards were made to be honest, I'm talking about the Wiki leaks and the right to know what goes on by our leaders.Good on you Julian Assange for your fight for freedom of information.Just on a side note the Australian federal police found that he has broken no Australian laws but unfortunately the "cover ups people" in America are out to save their ass.I bet the rape charges are just invented to capture him and silence him too .as-if.gif To you Julian tiphat.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
This could get out of hand very easily and lead to less freedom of the press in all countries if the US goes in that direction. Am I wrong?
Experts in espionage and freedom of information law say any U.S. crackdown on Assange and similar leak wholesalers or brokers would likely make it easier for the government to mount prosecutions against anyone who receives leaks of unauthorized information — most notably journalists."The consequences of (Assange's) behavior for the American press could be stark and painful," said Floyd Abrams, an expert on press freedom.
'The consequences of (Assange's) behavior for the American press could be stark and painful'
The complete story HERE
This story by Routers, who IMO is a fairly honest balanced outlet unlike what is found in the States today.Those leaks are nothing more than another direct attack on the USA. America has become too weak to do much to protect itself from our many enemies.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The complete story HERE
This story by Routers, who IMO is a fairly honest balanced outlet unlike what is found in the States today.Those leaks are nothing more than another direct attack on the USA. America has become too weak to do much to protect itself from our many enemies.
How can the leaks be an attack on the USA? wouldn't you rather know whats going on where your leaders are taking you.This is the problem,cover ups have going on for to long in the so called free world.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
The complete story HERE
How can the leaks be an attack on the USA? wouldn't you rather know whats going on where your leaders are taking you.This is the problem,cover ups have going on for to long in the so called free world.
Two fold problem… I agree with you that few governments today faithfully and honestly represent the people they are elected to serve. This is absolutely true in the case of my Federal Government. Are you or other non Americans aware of the level of anger most average Americans have to do with how our Federal Government is failing? Without being over dramatic if things don’t improve soon I would not be surprised to see violent action taken.For any government to function it must have secure communications with other governments. To answer the first question there will likely be fundamental changes made in who can access secure messages, information and the like. Perhaps there will be new laws to do with “outing” information that is owned by a government or company other than public domain however that would be defined. It could very well be there is no way to have truly private information