Car Dealer Scam

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This Email was sent to me via the contact us form,the sender is not a member but I will post it anyway. If you want his Email address I will pass it on. Please warn al of your readers/members about how car dealers(and others)are setting up ex-pats to rob them.I have been victimized by one of the sleazy POS and it went like this. After showing my financial papers to the bank and being spproved for the loan,the dealer asked how much cash I would put down(he new where I lived of course!)and on the morning of the deal called and asked if I would be doing biz that very day,yes I answered.After going to the bank,where the banker called the dealer,my partners'pocketbook was robbed right out of her hands in full view of bank guards who did nothing!!! After going to cops,useless jackasses,I went to the dealer who informed me he didn't have the vehicle!!! The thiefs didnt get the downpayment like they thought they were because we had to go to another bank first!If you would liketo know the name of the car dealer,I will gladly tell all of you!!Ex-pats are being set-up by bank employees who text people outside of banks when one of us make s a withdrawal.Others notify/hire people to tail us after going to the bank on days we will be doing bizness with allegedly legitimate people.We ex-pats are all targets here in he PI and anyone who doesnt have a pistol when carrying $ on days going to get cash at a bank will be sorry!!! Freddy

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
This Email was sent to me via the contact us form,the sender is not a member but I will post it anyway. If you want his Email address I will pass it on. Please warn al of your readers/members about how car dealers(and others)are setting up ex-pats to rob them.I have been victimized by one of the sleazy POS and it went like this. After showing my financial papers to the bank and being spproved for the loan,the dealer asked how much cash I would put down(he new where I lived of course!)and on the morning of the deal called and asked if I would be doing biz that very day,yes I answered.After going to the bank,where the banker called the dealer,my partners'pocketbook was robbed right out of her hands in full view of bank guards who did nothing!!! After going to cops,useless jackasses,I went to the dealer who informed me he didn't have the vehicle!!! The thiefs didnt get the downpayment like they thought they were because we had to go to another bank first!If you would liketo know the name of the car dealer,I will gladly tell all of you!!Ex-pats are being set-up by bank employees who text people outside of banks when one of us make s a withdrawal.Others notify/hire people to tail us after going to the bank on days we will be doing bizness with allegedly legitimate people.We ex-pats are all targets here in he PI and anyone who doesnt have a pistol when carrying $ on days going to get cash at a bank will be sorry!!! Freddy
And that is why I use checks for large purchases, I figure to let the dealer get robbed when cashing the checks and not me.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The one and only time that I bought a used car in Cebu, I was so cautious I made the salesman come with me to the bank, paid him and took delivery of the car right there. And yes, I still used a manager's check.Then I proceeded to give a bag of cash to Legacy group. Funny it was only used car salesmen I did not trust.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I don't think the bank employees would be in on the scam, but some one else from the inside associated with the scam watching the foreigner withdrawing large amount of cash and then texting his accomplice who's waiting on the outside! Anyway, most banks do not allow the use of cellphones while in their bank! Anyway, why would anyone pay large sums of money to pay for a vehicle? And why would a dealership get involved in the scam unless it's not one of the major dealership in the city? Not a good practice to pay cash! Use a 2 to 3 week post dated check and get an LTO official to verify all of the registration and documentation before making full payment! And if the dealership or private seller don't want to do it that way, then go find another dealership or private seller who will! This type of scam is nothing new, but still beware one and all!

Jake
Posted
Posted
I don't think the bank employees would be in on the scam, but some one else from the inside associated with the scam watching the foreigner withdrawing large amount of cash and then texting his accomplice who's waiting on the outside! Anyway, most banks do not allow the use of cellphones while in their bank! Anyway, why would anyone pay large sums of money to pay for a vehicle? And why would a dealership get involved in the scam unless it's not one of the major dealership in the city? Not a good practice to pay cash! Use a 2 to 3 week post dated check and get an LTO official to verify all of the registration and documentation before making full payment! And if the dealership or private seller don't want to do it that way, then go find another dealership or private seller who will! This type of scam is nothing new, but still beware one and all!
Excellent advice about using post dated checks to gradually make full payment and also verification of LTO documents.Thank you Boss Man for posting Freddy's email. You know, it kinda of reminds me of the same MO about how selected"arrivals" into Manila International get waylaid for highway ambush. Guys, please have a presence of mind at all times and keep a low profile.Respectfully -- Jake

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I always use a MANAGERS CHECK. if the business doesnt accept it. :SugarwareZ-034: then have him meet you at your bank, thats the most safest thing to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thinking of buying a used car or motorbike? Check with the LTO first to see if it is stolen & that the details match the official records via theTrack Vehicle Details using LTO’s Info-Text Service 2600http://news.txtbuff....o-text-service/Land Transportation Office (LTO) is an agency of the Philippine government responsible for improving land transportation services and facilities and implementing various transportation laws, rules, and regulations.LTO’s Info-Text service will allow any person with a mobile phone to ask about rules and procedures, and even data on certain vehicles. To get vehicle details, text: LTO VEHICLE <plate number with no spaces> to 2600 To get license details:, text: LTO LICENSE <license number with no spaces> to 2600 For motor vehicle transactions, text: LTO MV to 2600 For driver’s license and other permit transactions, text: LTO DL to 2600 For a menu of LTO’s services, text: LTO HELP to 2600

Edited by Art2ro