My First Trip To The Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My first trip to the PhilippinesJust thinking back to my very first trip which was to Cebu. I had done a lot of research on the Philippines through yahoo groups and forums as well as different web sites and thought I had everything worked out in my head but there was still a surprise waiting.The culture shock still hit me, I remember being in the taxi heading to the Waterfront hotel in the City and just looking out the window thinking to my self, "oh my god".What do you remember about your first time in the Philippines? :(

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
My first trip to the PhilippinesJust thinking back to my very first trip which was to Cebu. I had done a lot of research on the Philippines through yahoo groups and forums as well as different web sites and thought I had everything worked out in my head but there was still a surprise waiting.The culture shock still hit me, I remember being in the taxi heading to the Waterfront hotel in the City and just looking out the window thinking to my self, "oh my god".What do you remember about your first time in the Philippines? :th_thanx:
On my first visit in the early 90's, I was heading to Cagayan de Oro City (CDO) to meet my lady via Manila and I was actually shocked two ways, first was how modern a third world country can be as we descended over Manila to land for my first stop and I saw all the big city lights and then how huts and shanties can be right next to where people lived in what looked like mansions and skyscrapers. :1 (235): I was shocked again when I looked out my pension house window in CDO at 5 am and saw a family of 5 waking up in a wooden box on the sidewalk and that was maybe 4 feet wide by maybe 5 feet long and maybe 5 feet tall, and was used in the daytime for street vending. :( I think the Philippines is a prime example of how a government can keep most of the people poor while others thrive in opulence. :welcome: :1 (235): Edited by Mr. Lee

Markham
Posted
Posted
I think the Philippines is a prime example of how a government can keep most of the people poor while others thrive in opulence. :thumbsup: :th_unfair:
It's not just the oligarchy that governs but also the Catholic Church who are responsible.Mark

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

It struck me as pretty clean, organised and western. Mind you I had just spent 2 years in and around India, Cambodia and Laos.The food was disappointing and still is but the people happy and friendly, apart from the "haves", if you ever see them living behing there 8ft iron gates and walls. The country has the most pronounced difference between the have and have nots I've ever seen apart from the US.

• 5 months later...
Travis
Posted
Posted

Im lovin it

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, my first thoughts especially after the first few days was it is a damn shame I did not do this 30 years ago. Of course I had no money then nor were my priorities the same as today. But still, I do blame Lee. He should have realized that I was / am a fool and it was his duty to force the issue and make me come here..... I would have my own barangy by now..... All those missed opportunities, all those missed women..... All because Lee did not twist my arm and make me come here. Nooo, he wanted to keep it all for himself.... Well, better late than never. SugarwareZ-007.gif