Walk Briskly, Live Longer

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Pensioners who walk quickly are more likely to live longer than their slower peers, research has found.A faster walking pace was linked to an increased life expectancy for both sexes at all ages over 65, according to an analysis of data from nine studies.The researchers looked at how the walking pace of 34,485 adults aged 65 or older varied over several years and how this related to survival rates, after accounting for age and sex.The average gait speed of the participants was 3ft per second, with those who walked faster than this tending to live longer than the average.Walking pace after age 75 was found to be a particularly good indicator of how long someone would live.Dr Stephanie Studenski of the University of Pittsburgh led the study, which was published in the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. article-1344127-0CA570D9000005DC-444_233x325.jpg She said: ‘Predicted years of remaining life for each sex and age increased as gait speed increased, with a gait speed of about 2.6ft per second at the median life expectancy at most ages for both sexes. ‘Gait speeds of 3.3ft per second or higher consistently demonstrated survival that was longer than expected by age and sex alone.’Dr Studenski said that because walking requires the use of the breathing, muscular and skeletal systems, a slower gait may reflect damage to vital organs that indicates a reduced life expectancy. She suggested that doctors could use gait speeds slower than 2ft per second as to identify elderly patients at risk of early death who need medical intervention. http://www.dailymail...years-life.html

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Travis
Posted
Posted

that is why I was in the city so I could walk the aircon malls coz the streets suck to walk in with open holes pollution cracked sidewalks & cars jeepneys taxis & motor bikes that will run you over if you are not completely alert & how can a guy stay alert when there are so many beautiful women to gaze upon :devil: :as-if: the mall is safer & plenty of pretty ladies there to :yes: :541:

No name
Posted
Posted

I love walking the streets of Bogo. Its one of my favorite things to do. Before I moved to Bogo, I walked the streets of Talisay, I found that equally rewarding. Talisay is part of Metro Cebu.I love to take pictures of the scenery and the pretty girls.I use to walk 2 miles a day. Now, I can't and If i live another three years, I'll be surprised.I'm in a catch 22. I have lupus which gets worse in the sun.I started walking again in November.. Just at night, was feeling much better. Then once, i went during the day. Not far but covered in rashes the next day and very weak.Got over that, went to Cebu City and picked up a virus. That's why I've not been around. It really kicked my butt. I think I'm almost back to normal. No exercise has left me with out of control diabetes again. Will likely start insulin next month maybe sooner. There is a Filipino doc not far from Bogo that was trained in the USA. I'm going to try to go see him if funds hold out. I need to take a vhire to get there.Walking is great for you and a lot of fun. You can get to know the people much better that way. The language barrier is still a big issue but the way they great me says a lot too. i have more patience with the beggers than my Filipina GF does. :541: She really hates it. Not too bad in Bogo but still happens. Mostly kids. Not a syndicate here and sometimes real need. I learned that when one night I got up from my meal at an outdoor bbq and had kids race to my table to get the scraps off my plate. That really broke my heart to see that. Then again, once a kid came up to me there and asked for meat. I offered to buy him some rice and he declined. He got nothing. :devil: Getting a little off on the topic but since I mentioned getting out amount the people and spoke of the good, thought I should balance it with some of the negative.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Brisk walking is great exercise if you do it regularly. I try to jog 2 and a half miles every morning but have a sore achilles I'm trying to get over. I've found regular exercise perpetuates other good health practices like not drinking too much and not eating a bunch of crap. Is anyone familiar with the Cebu City Sports Center? I heard they have a decent 400m track. I think I was there once but part of the track was under water from rain. Hopefully, just a bad day.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Normal walking speed is 6km per hour, or 100 metres per minute, which I calculate at 5.4 feet per second. So, this 3.3 foot per second gait should be easily achievable for a healthy person!Regards: Jim