Dengue:

daisy
Posted
Posted

Just very recently, my two children were admitted to the hospital because of dengue. As I have posted before, Julius, has platelet count as follows! 151,000; 127,000; 97,000; 64,000; 54,000; 50,000; 60,000 then we are discharge. No medicine except for dextrose and paracetamol during the time that he had fever. The case of my other son, Jacob, who just have his appendectomy operation last October 28 was different. We rushed him to the hospital with 38,000 platelet count last Saturday. (8 days ago) Because it was already his 3rd day of having no fever, I was thinking all along that the dextrose was enough so I did not gave him the interventions I gave for Julius, the tawa-tawa and the camote tops juice. He's looking so well and healthy on the following Sunday so I went to church not even checking the last CBC result. The wife of one of our Pastors, who is a nurse and a doctor's wife also advise me to really ask for the result of the CBC. So I did and to my shocked, the last platelet count was already 20,000. I was distraught and don't know what to do except to text and asking for prayers. It was then than I gave him tawa2 and camote tops juice with prayers that his stomach will accept it and he will not vomit. Platelet concentrate is not available at blood bank until 11PM that night. My friends and some members of my Church came and called me offering their prayers and gave the 6 Red Cross Cards so that I will be given 6 units of platelets right away! The 4PM CBC showed a 25,000 count, which I really consider a miracle. At 12 midnight, it was 38,000 and the platelet still not yet available because the hospital needs to have their own examination before they will transfuse it to my son. The transfusion was done at 2AM. Jacob and I slept that early morning thanking and praising God for that miraculous increase of platelet with only tawa2 and camote tops juice. Unless the stomach still have the stamina to accept it, it really will work. And a lot of of prayers and Faith in God.Please note that an on anf off fever associated with pain in the joints and vomiting is a probable dengue case. Drink tawa-tawa and camote juice right away. My fiend told me that the tawa2 roots and stem should be bolied within 10 to 15 minutes. Wait until the 2 glasses of water will be only 1 glass. For the camote tops, just clean it thoroughly and boil the leaves and squeezed to produced the juice. You could also add a little water while boiling it. Then have your CBC count right away! With Julius, I was able to closely monitor it, we spent about 8 thousand pesos. Jacob it is more or less 20 thousand, platelet transfusion included! But this time, it is not the finnacial aspect that concerns me most but the knowledge in knowing that with the dengue virus, my son was fighting for his life! Please plant camote tops on your backyard or frontyard....you will just never know! As for the tawa2, it is just a common grass in the country but I don't know if there are places that don't grow it!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Wow, sorry to hear about your sons getting sick. We hope Jacob will be OK very soon and glad Julius is OK now.Daisy, thank you for the health tip and please keep us informed on Jacobs progress. Our prayers are with him and your family.

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Wow, sorry to hear about your sons getting sick. We hope Jacob will be OK very soon and glad Julius is OK now.Daisy, thank you for the health tip and please keep us informed on Jacobs progress. Our prayers are with him and your family.
Lee he is ok now. He check out from the hospital last Tuesday. I just don't have enough courage to post it before without shedding some tears. Now, I am blessed in knowing that God is in control of our lives. This morning, a father in our church shared a testimony on how his family coup up in losing their very active son who died of dengue last December 31, 2007 (3 minutes before new year) with a last platelet count of 25,000...jacob'r case was indeed a miracle knowing that just a month ago he had his operation and to top it all is asthmatic! he has his asthma attack when his platelet was 79,000 and going up! I praise God for that!Thanks to you both Lee and Nila....your prayers and friendship matters most! Edited by tweety

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Glad they both made it through ok. I guess I better plant me some of that.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Must have been a terrible time for you all. Glad to hear they are both on the mend and wish you all the best for Christmas

daisy
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys! Just for an update, Jacob's CBC check up today is 268K platelet, normal is 150K-390K