Diet

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

No..not about slimming..but eating healthily.For those that live long term in P'pines...what is your food intake per day?Do you focus on eating good stuff or go with the flow and eat the saturated fat crap that seems to be an easy option for many there...when I say many I mean the general P'pine people.,Strange how you can go to many countries and find good cuisine from China, India, Thailand, Vietnam and so on but never find Philippine cuisine.So, what do you long term residents eat to maintain a good diet?I've tried to 'educate' somebody that all the pork fat consistently consumed on a daily basis is detrimental to long term health...doesn't seem to sink in.So, who is eating healthily and what do you eat?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
No..not about slimming..but eating healthily.For those that live long term in P'pines...what is your food intake per day?Do you focus on eating good stuff or go with the flow and eat the saturated fat crap that seems to be an easy option for many there...when I say many I mean the general P'pine people.,Strange how you can go to many countries and find good cuisine from China, India, Thailand, Vietnam and so on but never find Philippine cuisine.So, what do you long term residents eat to maintain a good diet?I've tried to 'educate' somebody that all the pork fat consistently consumed on a daily basis is detrimental to long term health...doesn't seem to sink in.So, who is eating healthily and what do you eat?
Roy when we are there we basically eat the same as we do when we are in the US but with more carbs than in the US because good meats are hard to come by and expensive when we find them. I try to eat a lot of chicken, fish and meats but not too much pork and of course we end up eating rice and pancit. I believe what is the most unhealthy in the PHL is all the salt in most of the foods and that usually makes me retain water and requires that I take water pills from time to time when I see that I am. Exercise is the most important for good health IMO, so we walk a lot daily when possible.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Roy when we are there we basically eat the same as we do when we are in the US but with more carbs than in the US because good meats are hard to come by and expensive when we find them. I try to eat a lot of chicken, fish and meats but not too much pork and of course we end up eating rice and pancit. I believe what is the most unhealthy in the PHL is all the salt in most of the foods and that usually makes me retain water and requires that I take water pills from time to time when I see that I am. Exercise is the most important for good health IMO, so we walk a lot daily when possible.
Hey guys,Well, I must say that Filipino cuisine is rich with all kinds of spices borrowed from the Chinese, middle eastern and other food cultures. Unfortunately, most Filipinos/Filipinas I know are not healthy eaters. With my father's cooking, I certainly did fall into that category.But 10 years ago, when I was diagnosed with type II diabetes, I seriously cut down on all salts and sugar. Rice intake is only a fractionfrom what I used to pig out on. For example, few pieces of chicken adobo over plate FULL of white rice was the norm for me. Also,having merienda (light meal, usually Goldilocks) a few times a day, plus the main meal, plus beer, plus palutan (finger food), plus morebeer -- well, you get the picture.I don't know about you guys, but this DOM's metabolism has drastically slowed down. Just looking at food tightens up my belt automatically.Totally agree with Lee, that sexercise on a daily basis keeps that MoJo goin'!Boner appitet -- Jake Edited by Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

(So says the biased pig farmer) I'm reading a book called Sugar Busters, and it's talking about a bunch of stuff I'm hearing for the first time, so I won't bother trying to explain, but it's also saying that some fats are maybe not as bad for you as previously thought. They get into it in more detail in the book, but it's too late for me to dig in and find the terms they differentiate in terms of kinds of fat. I was eating a lot of pork fat and meat while there (since we had our own pigs to eat), and loved it depending on how it was prepared. I lost a lot of weight the first month though, 92kilos down to 85kilos, with only moderate exercise. I stayed away from beer, ate only a modest amount of rice, and then there was the usual fish and/or pork helpings. We drank a lot of tuba at night, which is straight from the coconut tree with nothing but a little bark added for flavor. I know everyone thinks "their" drink is the healthiest, but in this case I really felt like it. I drank a lot of the stuff, never got wasted, and felt great later. Not overly stuffed feeling, and no hangovers. When I started going to Tacloban for my daily ATM withdrawals (business related), I started eating a bit more Chow King and other restaurant food, and my weightloss stopped. That was also the time it started raining every single day and I had no more beach and basketball. I'm in Taiwan now and getting reacquainted with the food here, and there's lots of it. If you know what to look for, this is a food paradise. Not sure which is and isn't healthy though. I'll avoid the super greasy stuff, and take aim at the fish stuff. I have no idea why there aren't Filipino restaurants overseas, but part of me thinks it's due to lack of entreprenurial initiative? Lord knows they have some dishes that are delicious, and large Filipino communities everywhere. The other thing is they tend to cook together in groups, so maybe they don't want a restaurant?