Top Of Cebu

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Top is the name. It is just the top of the mountain that gives you a great view of Cebu but it is also a tourist destination. I tried to search this site to see if anyone had given a review recently but Top is a very common word and hard to search for.The view! It is comparable to the view from The Peak in Hong Kong. That is where the comparison stops. There are so many things possible in a location like Top but it falls far short of its potential. To get there you can travel to Marco Polo Hotel and keep going, follow the road for about 5 miles. There is only 1 left turn to watch for and there is a sign. The climb was a tough one for my 100 cc Honda wave with a 200 pound foreigner and a 100 pound filipina on it but we made it. Some parts had us in 1st gear though.Arriving at the Top, there is an entrance fee of 100 Pesos per person. This bothered me because you get nothing for it except the view, but, welcome to the Philippines. There is potential for shops and restaurants and maybe even a cable car ride but nothing like that exists. There is one kiosk for coke and junk food, one for key chains and other feeble souvenirs, and one that is trying to be more upscale, (I hope they succeed and raise the standard), where I purchased a Perrier and a delicious meringue delicacy for a total of 200 pesos.Let me add for those coming from the north, that there is a short cut from Talamban to Top but the road is closed for concreting at this time so you will have to go the longer way.Anyway, my conclusion is: I am glad I went after 3 years of thinking I should give it a look but I won't be going back any time soon.

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Top is the name. It is just the top of the mountain that gives you a great view of Cebu but it is also a tourist destination. I tried to search this site to see if anyone had given a review recently but Top is a very common word and hard to search for.The view! It is comparable to the view from The Peak in Hong Kong. That is where the comparison stops. There are so many things possible in a location like Top but it falls far short of its potential. To get there you can travel to Marco Polo Hotel and keep going, follow the road for about 5 miles. There is only 1 left turn to watch for and there is a sign. The climb was a tough one for my 100 cc Honda wave with a 200 pound foreigner and a 100 pound filipina on it but we made it. Some parts had us in 1st gear though.Arriving at the Top, there is an entrance fee of 100 Pesos per person. This bothered me because you get nothing for it except the view, but, welcome to the Philippines. There is potential for shops and restaurants and maybe even a cable car ride but nothing like that exists. There is one kiosk for coke and junk food, one for key chains and other feeble souvenirs, and one that is trying to be more upscale, (I hope they succeed and raise the standard), where I purchased a Perrier and a delicious meringue delicacy for a total of 200 pesos.Let me add for those coming from the north, that there is a short cut from Talamban to Top but the road is closed for concreting at this time so you will have to go the longer way.Anyway, my conclusion is: I am glad I went after 3 years of thinking I should give it a look but I won't be going back any time soon.
Hi Dave, you might wish to search for Top Hills or Tops Cebu and you should find Reviews etc. My wife and I have been there a number of times with tourists and IMO it is worth seeing at least once and the youtube below that I found by searching that will give people a good idea of the magnificent view from up there, well at least when the pollution is low.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Dave your post brings back some good memories. Back in the 1990’s my wife and I went on one of our first dates to “Tops”. Quite an adventure the cab driver missed the turn and got lost that night way up in the mountains on a dirt road. The way back we were able to stop and enjoy the view.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hi Dave, you might wish to search for Top Hills or Tops Cebu and you should find Reviews etc. My wife and I have been there a number of times with tourists and IMO it is worth seeing at least once and the youtube below that I found by searching that will give people a good idea of the magnificent view from up there, well at least when the pollution is low.
pretty up there. :thats-funny: I took a few ladies up there & it amazed me that they had never been there b4 so why do you think that was coz they said they never had the chance to go

• 1 year later...
Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Tops was on my short list of things to do. I didn't make it to Tops but I did love the view from the Taoist temple. I only had a week so not a whole lot of sight seeing really happened.

• Like 1