The Cenomar Requirement For Foreigners

daisy
Posted
Posted

I just found out today after I bumped my Local Civil Registrar friend that although there is a law requiring this, again, this is subject to the LCR's discretion. One example is, if you will be able to establish that you've been living in one particular area without any record of a Filipina wife hankering you around and you are going to marry your long time Filipina girlfriend, she might not ask for your CENOMAR. Provided however that if in case you are divorced to a Filipina, your divorce decree is recorded in NSO Manila. I even told her, "ohhhh! I hope I could vouch for one"! :whistling:

retired
Posted
Posted
I just found out today after I bumped my Local Civil Registrar friend that although there is a law requiring this, again, this is subject to the LCR's discretion. One example is, if you will be able to establish that you've been living in one particular area without any record of a Filipina wife hankering you around and you are going to marry your long time Filipina girlfriend, she might not ask for your CENOMAR. Provided however that if in case you are divorced to a Filipina, your divorce decree is recorded in NSO Manila. I even told her, "ohhhh! I hope I could vouch for one"! :whistling:
American Interpertation of the Above Post :My wife did not actually " bump " her local Civil Registrar Friend but did encounter her somewhere during the course of the day . The law being subject to the discretion of the LCR is as all laws in the Philippines . Not as much " law " as suggested course of action . :huh: Now , as to the NSO having a copy of a divorce paper . How would they get such a thing unless the person with the divorce decree had submitted a copy to the NSO ? For that matter how would they even know if a Filipinas to become spouse had ever been married in the first place UNLESS that husband to be had previously married a Filipina in the Philippines AND there was a copy of that marriage record on file at the NSO ? Of which is my case !It is true that an american must obtain a Legal Capacity to Marry from the US Consulate or Embassy before marrying a Filipina . But based on my personal experience that simply means filing out forms , raising your hand and swearing that you are legally free to marry ( based on US law , not Philippine law ) . I took a copy of my US based divorce degree with me but no one bothered to ask to see it when i got my Legal Capicity to Marry . Actually , LCTM sounds more like they are questioning your sanity than your divorce status . :th_closed: So , unless the US Embassy submitted a copy of my divorce degree to the NSO i seriously doubt they would have such a thing . And since my only visit to the US Embassy in Manila was in order to sign up for my pension ( ss ) several years ago and they never asked for or photo copied my divorce papers there is no record of my divorce except state side . Not to stir up a hornet's nest but i have engaged in numerous " discussions " through the years with Filipinos that are absolutely adamant that divorce is not legally accepted in the Philippines even when initiated in another country by virtue of the fact that the Philippines has no divorce . That is of course , not the case .By International treaty the Philippines must accept a recogonized legal divorce proceeding from a US court . In fact i was told one time by a female Philippine attorney that a marriage between two Filipinas could be decreed as a divorce in a us court even if that marriage took place in the Philippines and even without the party having the divorce filed against them were not present in the us . The papers would be sent to the party here in the Philippines who would then have a certain time frame in which to respond . If no response then the divorce degree coul proceed . Of course that particular attny may have been thinking of $ and not practical/legal issues . So , after my wife reads this post maybe she will " bump " her LCR friend up again . Or maybe insisit that i submit my divorce paper to the NSO . Of which i will NOT . Besides , i only have one copy and it is the orginal and i will not submit my orginal copy , period . If they want a copy let them order one from the NC court record and let them pay for it ! :as-if: One of the hidden benefits of getting old is in being contrarian ! SugarwareZ-267.gif28.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

It would be nice to get a definative answer about this. One way or the other so if you need to Daisy take her to lunch. :whistling: I get different answers about this every time I ask someone. How would be the correct way for NSO to get a copy of the divorce if that is what they need? I am sure many would be interested in the real facts about this. PM me if you need to Daisy.

• 1 year later...
TomM
Posted
Posted

After reading the above post. I have a similar situation. I was married in the PI I am a US citizen and going to Guam to get a divorce in January. I have read on another forum that it is as simple as taking your divorce decree to cebu consular agency get a new legal capacity to marry and get married. Whats going to happen when I file for a 13a visa and they look up my name and I have two marriages listed? I have heard that you must register your divorce with the NSO and that takes a lawyer and alot of time before you get remarried?

TomM
Posted
Posted

Excuse me but what is a CENOMAR i never had to get one the first time I got married.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Excuse me but what is a CENOMAR i never had to get one the first time I got married.
CENOMAR is a certificate of no marriage.