Colonial Mentality, Another Tool To Divide Filipinos.

Mr Lee
Posted
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Or maybe the family is ridiculing and destroying the dream because deep down they are actually thinking..."Shxt! how are we going to pay for that?"

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Or maybe the family is ridiculing and destroying the dream because deep down they are actually thinking..."Shxt! how are we going to pay for that?"
I would agree on that except in our case, we offered to pay for her to go to school and college, as we had with quite a few other family members and with only one who graduated. sad.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
I propose that colonial mentality is a state of mind brought on by media for the last century. According to the article, even centuries prior to the Spaniards, having fair skin denotes blood of the more "cleaner" ancestry, whatever that means. I believe in most cases, the American occupation was meant to establish an educational system to bring the Filipinos into the 20th century, as well as assisting the Philippines recover from war. Except for isolated cases, I really don't believe that racism was ever taught or practiced by the Americans. Unlike in the US deep south of the 1940's and 50's, I never heard of brown Filipinos forced to ride in the back of the bus or must enter a different door.And yet, you would hear anti-foreigner slogans to be more nationalistic -- buy Filipino made products and promote Tagalog as the national language. But in actuality, not knowing basic English will hinder you from getting a good paying job, especially jobs as a OFW, call center, high tech or business position. I think the term colonial mentality, for the lack of a better excuse was popularized by people suffering from stagnant growth as a nation and as an individual. Just look at the thousands of college graduates seeking work abroad. I think the term should be inferiority complex brought on by government corruption. The gap between the rich and the oppressed poor widens every year. Those same college graduates with teaching and bachelor of sciences degrees are doing menial blue collar work abroad. I would feel inferior just for that reason. Western influence has nothing to do with my predicament. But on the other hand, I do need to show off my new IPad, IPod, cellphone, HDTV to look westernized. The irony of that is, most of the high tech consumer gadgets are made in China. Go figure........Jake Edited by Jake