Imo, Most Of The Philippines Is Safe

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have traveled extensively for the last 14 years to Manila and some of the provinces, Cebu City and a few of the provinces of Cebu, Mindanao, including Cagayan de Oro City, Davao, and a number of places in the heart of Mindanao and we have even taken buses while in Mindanao and have walked around Cebu, Manila, Makati, Cagayan de Oro, Davao and many towns most people probably never heard of, and I have never felt unsafe. IMO the key is to never be flashy and never wear fancy jewelry or maybe anything other than a plain watch and to never flash a lot of cash. I keep enough in one pocket to do what I intend to do for the day and if I need to keep more cash, then I keep it in another pocket. ATM machines are all over the place and it is easy to get more cash when we need it (except in the boonies), as long as there is enough cash in the account in the first place. :rolleyes: It is also good to have an online account and have more then one account and that way you do not have to have a large amount in the account that you use daily and you can go online and transfer more if you really need it for any reason.

• 2 weeks later...
paul
Posted
Posted

I have to admit, I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Cebu, even one night when someone attempted to rob my former wife and I at our office/home, in Camputhaw, Cebu City. This was November of 1995. Other than that, I can't say as I have had any real issues in the Philippines, concerning safety. To give you a bit of background on my city and provincial experience in the Philippines, I have traveled extensively throughout the islands of Mindanao and Camiguin, some of the island of Panay, the entire (completely around and throughout each province/island) provinces of Boracay, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Biliran, Bohol (but only one islet, Panglao), Cebu (including most islets and mactan), Siquijor, Negros Oriental, and some of Negros Occidental. I have done a fair amount of traveling through Luzon, as well. Anyway, no matter where I have gone in the Philippines, even when in Manila, Makati, or in Quezon City at night, I have never felt uneasy or as though I was in any danger. Of course, I was probably the biggest, ugliest thing in the neighborhood. :DSeriously, I have, however, felt uneasy to travel in areas of my own hometown, in the USA. There are, in fact, places I would not travel in Savannah, Georgia, during the daytime, and with a gun!

• 3 months later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Even with all the that has been going on lately, I still think most of the Philippines is safe except for a few places in Mindanao, and as long as you keep a low profile and do not go into business making lots of money or competing with Filipinos in the same business, you should be safe. IMO, the safest way is to earn your money from out of the country, like a pension, annuity or from an investment or something along those lines, and just have monthly checks coming in, and make sure that they stop and go to your out of the country estate as soon as something happens to you. Of course it would also be good to provide for you gf or wife, but in something like an annuity that gives her monthly checks, because if she gets a lump sum, IMO her family will suck her dry or she herself might pee it away in short order. Just do not tell her or her family about it. SugarwareZ-004.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I agree most of the Philippines is no more dangerous than places you might go in your own country. I've traveled many places and only had any problems a couple of times in over 25 years. Just be polite and don't instigate incidents. Remember wherever you go your brain is your first line of defense so don't leave it at home. Watch what is going on around you. Trouble rarely starts without some visable warning beforehand.

Steve
Posted
Posted
Watch what is going on around you. Trouble rarely starts without some visable warning beforehand.
I agree, keep alert of your surroundings. In '07, the Donna and I went to Bohol. We were at a mall outside of Tagbiliran and I needed to get more money. We were in the lower level in line for an ATM machine outside of the bank. I turned around to talk with her and noticed someone on the upper level looking down scoping out the people at the ATM. I told her that we need to find another one so we walked out of line.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Having travelled the globe for many years the only time I've had problems is in Europe - Barcelona, Rome and Paris. I lived in London but I'm sure if I spoke Spanish, Italian or French I would have had problems there as well.I'm not saying it is trouble free, a mate of mind was pick pocketed at Country Mall a few months ago but is certainly no worse than anywhere I've been over 40 years.

• 5 months later...
gloryforixseal
Posted
Posted

3 firefighters hurt last night , all from Phibsboro Station. 2 injured athe the Fire at 7pm in Benburb St. and another injured about 3am at a derelict building fire. They also had a Fatal fire about 1am.Christmas time huh :shock:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 firefighters hurt last night , all from Phibsboro Station. 2 injured athe the Fire at 7pm in Benburb St. and another injured about 3am at a derelict building fire. They also had a Fatal fire about 1am.Christmas time huh :shock:
Is this in the Philippines? I thought Christmas has been and gone already???

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yea, everyone knows Christmas doesn't start in the Philippines until September. :AddEmoticons04230:

Edited by Old55