Tv Costs

Andre
Posted
Posted

I am still in the states but my move date in now set in stone as I purchased our tickets for Nov 7. I am starting to figure the costs of replacing those things that we are not going to bring with us and a television is on of them. I went on yahoo Philippines and attempted to find the costs of a Flat Panel TV but the prices were so high that I figured I had better look elsewhere for help so here I am. What are others paying for a flat panel TV in the Manila area? If the prices that I saw at some of the sites are what everyone is forced to pay I just may have to forgo TV.Andre

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I am still in the states but my move date in now set in stone as I purchased our tickets for Nov 7. I am starting to figure the costs of replacing those things that we are not going to bring with us and a television is on of them. I went on yahoo Philippines and attempted to find the costs of a Flat Panel TV but the prices were so high that I figured I had better look elsewhere for help so here I am. What are others paying for a flat panel TV in the Manila area? If the prices that I saw at some of the sites are what everyone is forced to pay I just may have to forgo TV.Andre
Electronics are higher in the Philippines. I did buy a 42 Samsung LED when there at 1 1/2 to 2 times the cost found in the US. I bought from an Electronics store there and it came with delivey, set up, and installation. You could also look into buying used by checking the local Craig's list -- or find an ex-pat returning. I was able to fit a 21 inch LED in a Balikbyan box and sent one there. I bought the cheap Insigna brand sold in Best Buy -- I think made in China, it is dual voltage, cheap, and worked well there. You can't find these brands in stores there. Sometimes I used this TV as a monitor and was able to watch downloaded movies and Web TV from my laptop.I remember being where you are preparing to move. It is a lot of work and planning. Good luck.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Hi Andre,Here is a link to how we sent a large wide screen TV to Cebu it details the costs and savings. Big TV

Rudderless
Posted
Posted

What about flying to a neighboring country and buying it there? Then checking it as luggage? Do you plan to travel to other areas while in RP? I do and that is how I intend on buying things like this. Bad idea?Cheers,Rudderless

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What about flying to a neighboring country and buying it there? Then checking it as luggage? Do you plan to travel to other areas while in RP? I do and that is how I intend on buying things like this. Bad idea?Cheers,Rudderless
You will end up paying duties on it if they catch you bringing it in and duties can be 100% of what they say the value is.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
"Bad Idea?" Maybe, I've brought in computers and other electronics in the past but always told the customs folks I had in in my checked luggage. What I have said is "Its for my Filipino family members living here". I've never had a problem in fact mostly get a big smile and on my way.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
You will end up paying duties on it if they catch you bringing it in and duties can be 100% of what they say the value is.
There is a risk, I agree but I am not sure how high it is. I brought my son's Playstation 3 and Wi in packed bags. The hard shell suitcase had a chalkmarked X on it as it came out of the carosel meaning it was marked for search. They must use scanning to check for electrical equipment. I simply told them it was for my personal use and I was so into games that I could not leave home with them. I've brought computers, etc. and I don't get checked most of the time ... but there is risk. It may help when the items are not new. ..