P50-M Send-Off Gift For Reyes

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

th_thholysheep.gif What do you all make of this going on in such a poor country? ohmy.gif I see where they say the money sources from, but where do you think all that money was actually coming from, anyone have a guess? 89.gif I wonder if this went on in all previous administrations? A retired lieutenant colonel on Thursday made a surprise appearance at the Senate and disclosed how he and his ex-bosses allegedly amassed wealth, with a large portion of the loot taken from soldiers’ salaries.Seated on a wheelchair following a stroke, George Rabusa dropped a bombshell: that Angelo Reyes, a former Armed Forces chief of staff, received a send-off gift (“pabaon”) of “not less than” P50 million when he retired in 2001.Rabusa said he personally delivered the cash to the “White House,” Reyes’ then quarters at Camp Aguinaldo, that year. He said he was accompanied by the then military comptroller, Lt. Gen. Jacinto Ligot.“We had to convert [the money] to dollars because it was very bulky,” Rabusa said during the Senate blue ribbon committee’s initial hearing on the plea bargain between government prosecutors and ex-military comptroller Carlos Garcia.On top of the purported “pabaon,” Reyes, who later became defense secretary, allegedly received a monthly take of at least P5 million—or around P100 million in his 20 months as AFP chief of staff. Rabusa said he and Ligot made the monthly deliveries.Rabusa said Reyes’office also received another P5 million monthly, but added that the amount was spent for office needs and was not necessarily pocketed by Reyes.He said the distribution of hefty amounts to top military officials was a “tradition” in the AFP. “It was there when we got there. We inherited it from those who came before us,” he said.He added that this tradition had also benefited two other AFP chiefs of staff, Diomedio Villanueva and Roy Cimatu, who allegedly each received around P10 million as a “start-up” fund.“As soon as they assumed office, they already asked to be given,” he claimed.Can’t rememberRead the complete story HERE

Jake
Posted
Posted

This practice of ill gotten wealth apparently has been going on for quite some time now. The military upper crustclaims its their status of position to rob from their own soldiers and policemen. They are poorly equipped, poorlytrained and only sets a bad example for everyone in uniform to take a piece of the action. The practice of "ghost"purchases or deliveries is common and the culture of impunity of the rich and powerful will never go away.Respectfully -- Jake

• 3 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Interesting follow up story about how Reyes supposedly committed suicide but I have to ask myself why a person who wanted to commit suicide would bring their sons, driver and bodyguard along with them to the cemetery in the first place. So do any of you think he actually committed suicide or could there be other hands at work here?

He died from a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest, apparently from a caliber .45 pistol, based on the findings of a special investigation task group of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).Eyewitnesses told police that Reyes, his bodyguard, a driver, and two sons arrived at around 7:00 a.m. at the Loyola Memorial Park in Marikina City. Sometime before 7:30, Reyes reportedly told his sons and bodyguard to go ahead to where their car was parked. Then, standing alone in front of the grave of his mother, a single shot rang out and he fell to the ground.
The compete story HERE

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

And yet another revelation, seems the former president GMA called Reyes a few days before he killed himself, so what bad thing could it be that they discussed that Trillanes seems to know or insinuate that he knows? Boy this is getting way too deep for my little pea brain and it is like a very slow moving soap opera that never seems to get to the juicy part. Justice is often very slow in the Philippines but my guess is that anyone responsible will be very old and with one foot in the grave before all this plays out.The unnamed powerful man behind Gen. Garcia

The letter was hand-carried to Trillanes by a PMA classmate on January 18. This letter was purportedly the subject of Gloria Arroyo’s call to Reyes a few days before he killed himself.