American Mulls Suit Vs Negros Bus Firm Over Road Mishap

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK so not only are many of the modes of transportation unsafe, now it seems the companies refuse to pay medical bills when their drivers at at fault of injuring someone. An American who spent about P200,000 for the hospital bills of his Filipina wife is considering taking a Negros bus firm to court for giving a measly P10,000 for her medical needs following a road mishap in Cebu last week.Ricky Leiderman, the husband of road crash victim Elizabeth, said that Ceres Liner reneged on its duty to pay the hospital bills that amounted to about P200,000.Elizabeth, a 44-year-old teacher from Himamaylan City, was traveling with Leiderman on board the Ceres bus last Friday when it rammed into a truck on Cebu island last Friday.Elizabeth suffered contusions on her head and lower left leg and foot, Leiderman told INQUIRER.net, adding that “her lower right leg was shattered with bones almost coming out of the skin.”“I tried to not let her see her leg but when she did she passed out for a few seconds,” he recalled. Leiderman said he got “bruises and sore all over.”Elizabeth was rushed to the South General Hospital in the Naga town of Cebu.In the evening, three representatives from the bus company arrived at the hospital and promised to foot the bills, Leiderman said.“We had been told that Ceres would authorize payment for all the bills,” Leiderman said in his letter to INQUIRER.net.“They said Ceres would pay all our expenses, hospital, doctors and travel home and follow up care,” he said.“They wrote down two names and phone numbers. When we tried to call the next day, and the hospital tried to call also, the numbers were no good, out of service,” he added.In all, Ceres only gave them P10,000, Leiderman saidThe complete story HERE

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Theres no way that this company should get away with this. I would be interested in the out come of this.

Jake
Posted
Posted

It's a good thing that a major news media (Philippine Daily Inquirer) took up this story. Hopefully, this will motivateFilipino lawyers to take his case pro bono. The Ceres Bus Liner should be boycotted and its license revoke!Respectfully -- Jake

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This is the typical MO of Bus Company’s in Philippines. My family used to own two Jeepnee’s. One was hit and damaged unable to be used. It took three years and many many hours of legal work until finally just before a final judgment they made a fair offer.We know a Brit in Leyte who built two buses in order to shuttle between the airport and seaport a thug from Rough Rider visited his wife and explained how there would be an accident if they started service. She was well connected from a politically powerful Leyte family there but knew the threat was real.From what they said many of the bus bombings are extortion or rival bus companies.

• 4 months later...
piglett
Posted
Posted
Theres no way that this company should get away with this. I would be interested in the out come of this.
my wife has a huge family , if this had happened to her they mite all show up & drag the BOS bus owner into the street & have a go with himi bet he would be willing to pay then !!!!what a bone headpiglett