Hey Joe, Give Me Money

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So I get harassed by the usual gang of young boys most days when I go walking. Not a big deal but I wanted them to know how it feels so I learned to say it in their language. The other day I went for a walk and the local boys chanted 'give me money' so I walked over to one of them, held out my hand and said, "dong, tagay ko quarta"Well he was shocked. Looked at me with that open mouth look. So I thought, Aha! I have solved that problem. And indeed I may have. Today, when I was on my walk the kids did not holler Give me money Joe, they hollered HEY! Tagay ko quarta!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
So I get harassed by the usual gang of young boys most days when I go walking. Not a big deal but I wanted them to know how it feels so I learned to say it in their language. The other day I went for a walk and the local boys chanted 'give me money' so I walked over to one of them, held out my hand and said, "dong, tagay ko quarta"Well he was shocked. Looked at me with that open mouth look. So I thought, Aha! I have solved that problem. And indeed I may have. Today, when I was on my walk the kids did not holler Give me money Joe, they hollered HEY! Tagay ko quarta!
I tell them my wife has all my money with a smile and that seems to please everyone. I have been told not to give to groups like that otherwise they will demand it every day as if it were theirs to have.

oldutot
Posted
Posted
I tell them my wife has all my money with a smile and that seems to please everyone. I have been told not to give to groups like that otherwise they will demand it every day as if it were theirs to have.
same here Old55, I generally tell folks that the wife has the money.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Years ago my wife and I used to keep coins in our pockets to give the kids near Robinsons because we always felt sorry for them sleeping on the concrete, and with many looking malnourished, that was until one day all I had left was a one piso coin, so I gave it to the kid and he looked at it in disdain and yelled back at me "One Peso, One Peso" so I reached out to take it back and he pulled his hand away. Needless to say the cost of living in the Philippines has gone up for everyone and one piso does not buy much nowadays, yet I feel that beggars should not be choosy, so from that day forward they never got even one piso from my wife or I and I just say Wala loud and with a deep voice, and that usually makes them run away. We do give Sky Flakes crackers individual packs to the kids at times when my wife happens to put them in her pocketbook because we know we will be walking down that way, or we will shop and buy some loafs of bread or crackers and give that away on the way home, but I doubt if they will ever again get any money from us, but I refuse to use the word never because I might see one someday that I feel really deserves it. I like Dave's way but it just goes to show you that they do get to know us and recognize us individually, and therefore respond differently to each of us. Once they know they will not get anything, then most do not even bother us anymore and they even tell the new kids to not waste their time.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Dave,What a novel idea! By responding in their native tongue definitely means that you are street smart and will not take any bull chit. I personal tend to donate a small amount (loose change) whenever I see something obviously in desperate conditions. Although I was once lectured by a cab driver in Manila that it's unwise to donate anything in certain areas. In this particular corner, the driver explain she is "syndicado" -- members of a syndicate financed and protected by local PNP or city official. He further explained that the baby she is holding is probably "rented" in order to gain more pity for herself. Nearly 30% of population in abject poverty (about 30 million), and higher percentage in devastated areas. As Lee suggestedproviding food or even drinking water should be valued more than just a piso-piso.Respectfully -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

There's a mentally handicapped 17 year old down the block who I gave 5 pesos to everyday, only because at my HS back home, those kids had educational and job-related training and were placed in simple jobs they could do. Wish I could give him a job, but since I can't, I give him 5 pesos. He always asks for more later in the day and I tell him tomorrow. I could see the older guys didn't like him bothering me for change, but they could see I would give it to him anyways. Out of respect for them, however, I won't give anything to the healthy young kids. I see them working hard for very little, and they don't want the young kids to be spoiled into thinking it's anything different.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Same as old55 i tell them wife has all the money, works like a charm.